1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice
    • Dismiss Notice

Babies behind bars

Shortie861 Jun 27, 2011

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Just seen this programme on ITV1 and it's about women whom are behind bars and are pregnant and in the State of Indiana some women are now allowed to keep their children behind bars with them in a nursery that is now in the said prison.

What are your thoughts on babies being kept behind bars? Do you feel it's a good start to a babies life?
    2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I think a lot depends on how long a sentence the woman is serving. The baby could well be out before it realises where it is.
      Is a start behind bars any worse than a start without the natural mother ? :)
    3. clauemi

clauemi Quiet Chatter

I don't think it makes a difference. If the mom is in jail then it's probably for a bad reason and probably going to set a bad example for her child anyways. If it's just for a short while I don't think it would have a huge impact in a child's life.
    4. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

I watched this show and I don`t think babies should be aloud to stay with the mother behind bars even if the mother is not in for long
    5. Sky9Media

Sky9Media New Chatter

This idea just seems ridiculous. Really, you want to put babies behind bars? So what if they'll be away from their mothers. No offense, but if their mother is in prison, she more than likely lost her right to that child already. Having a baby grow up in such an unstable place is so unhealthy.
    6. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

My thoughts aswell, I mean as much as it probably isn't the best start in life for a baby to be away from it's mother in the end is it really good for the baby to be starting it's life behind bars to be with their mother. The mother should really have been thinking before commiting a crime especially if she was pregnant.
    7. zararina

zararina Chat Addict

It was not a good start but because they are still babies, they could not think of that yet.
      I think it was always good for babies to be well taken care of by their mothers. They would feel that love, connection and that feeling of security with their mothers. Breast milk is still best for babies.:lol:
    8. Phusion

Phusion New Chatter

I agree with this statement.

The idea is ridiculous.
    9. Pokemon

Pokemon Getting There

I think that is crazy. It would be nice if the mother could spend some time with her new baby, but I don't think the baby should be living with her behind bars.
    10. jnugget

jnugget Regular Chatter

really great start to a babies life :/ its barbaric