1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Capital Punishment

ItsZippy Aug 28, 2011

1. ItsZippy

ItsZippy New Chatter

The death penalty is still used in a small number of countries in the world. Most of these are in Africa or the Middle East, though the USA is a substantial user of the punishment too. Should capital punishment ever be used?

2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

In my view NO as mistakes cannot be rectified.

3. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I have mixed views about this as I feel that with some crimes commited this kind of punishment is enough say for murder however courts can get things wrong and the wrong person can be found guilty in which case the wrong person may end up serving such a severe punishment instead of the person that commited the crime.

4. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

If we had a referendum I like most people would probably vote yes.

Usually the police and prosecution service would not bring a case unless there was some firm evidence - and lets face it, with todays soft justice most criminals get let off with little more than a hand-slap anyway.

edit - second thoughts a handslap would be against a criminals human rights.

5. Samy2576

Samy2576 New Chatter

Yes absolutely. I believe in the the death penalty for those who have committed terrible crimes. Why waste my tax dollars to hold them in prison? If you kill someone in cold blood, or rape a kid or something, you should definitely be put to death.

6. zararina

zararina Chat Addict

I think a life sentence have more weight to punish a proven heinous criminal than death penalty. Specially if prison conditions are so bad. Death is like an easy way out on hard things on earth that is why there are those who chose to commit suicide. Also I think no one should take away life from someone.

7. GCW

GCW New Chatter

Depends on the crime, of course. If a person killed someone else, of course they should be punished by death. It's an eye for an eye, simple as that. Capital punishment can be used for smaller things, such as misdemeanors. Anything that a person does to another person should be done back to them. That's how I think justice should be served.

8. Julia

Julia New Chatter

I don't really know where to stand about this issue.

I remember that when the government of the Philippines imposed death penalty for drug dealers, drug related problems decreased. Death penalty can prevent crimes from happening.

I am not against death penalty. But when I watched a documentary news about prisoners that suffered inside the jail for the crime that they did not commit, my views changed. Sometimes, justice are for rich only. Sad to say, not all prisoners are guilty for the crime but there are few that are victims of injustice, too. They were framed up for the crimes because of their lack of education and for being poor.

9. artistry

artistry New Chatter

The law is the law, and so if someone commits a crime, where the death penalty is applicable, the individual is then subjected to that penalty. But there needs to be serious consideration, given to making sure that the person is guilty of the crime he or he is charged with, before that penalty is imposed.
      I do not believe in killing people, legally or otherwise. Perhaps with the recent DNA testing, that has cleared a lot of people of crimes, that they were convicted of, there will be a lot of thought given, to eliminating the death penalty and instead, giving criminals life in prison. Death is irreversible.

10. TheHaze

TheHaze Shy Chatter

I feel that in cases of murder. It should be an eye for and eye. Maybe in such other ases where the offender has persistently hurt or harmed people it may aslo be used. But in all, I agree with the Death Penalty. I believe it scares people, but hey. It wont happen in the UK anytime soon.

11. Cecil15

Cecil15 I am Me...

I like this topic, really.

Well, it is not implemented in our country at present. And I think it is just the right move for the government since we are not Gods and we don't have the right to kill our fellowmen even if they have committed such serious crimes. Besides, I believe that even the most evil people on Earth can change himself for the better, so let's just give them that opportunity. After all, they are just humans -- they too commit mistakes.

12. Allison

Allison New Chatter

I feel like the United States's current form of capital punishment is just too easy for those who have committed the crimes to deserve to be sentenced to it. There is hardly any pain inflicted with the injections. They even rub the injection site with an alcohol pad prior to putting the needle in the vein. It doesn't make sense. These people caused pain to innocents, sometimes even to children, and then they are put to sleep to die? No. They should be made to suffer, somehow.

13. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

I gotta penchant for yes, why? Because such vile people running free in the country, I mean, it just doesn't sit well with me at all, I mean I'd love to see such criminals punished as well.

14. Allison

Allison New Chatter

I realize it sounds morbid, but if you think about some of the things these people do. Many of them confess to doing them, too. A man from my state recently beat a ten year old to death with a brick, dismembered her, and then placed her head in his refrigerator. If he is put to death, he'll be put to sleep first. How is that justice??

15. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

wow, never would have thought about it until you raised it up. I mean, it's horrible what he did to her. Did he rape her too?