1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Convicted sex offenders

simplymama Aug 22, 2011

1. simplymama

simplymama New Chatter

Do you agree with all the restrictions put on convicted sex offenders and pedophiles? For example, making them register with sites so people living in their area know that there is a convicted offender living near them. Some places even require the offender to personally tell his/her neighbors about his/her past. Thoughts?

2. Jandrew

Jandrew New Chatter

I think they should be restricted.

3. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

Yes I think people have a right to know that they live close by

4. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I totally agree, I feel that people have the right to know if there is a sex offender living near them even if the sex offender has no intention of doing anything. I would say the worst thing about not knowing is finding out another way and being worried about where you live.

5. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

I would want to know is there was a sex offender living near me
      more so when the kids was little so I can keep a eye on him

6. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

Should sex offenders be living near anybody anywhere?
      If they have to be somewhere there are plenty of remote but inhabitable islands around the British coast.
      And if the prisons are too full of all the other sorts of lowlife, same could go for them.

7. Shortie861

Have to agree with you there SB, putting someone whom is a danger to the public around busy public places is wrong especially if they are sex offenders, only problem is you will get from the government that the offenders have rights to, if you ask me they lost their rights when they chose to commit the crimes.

8. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

Where I use to live way up north the councle thought it would be a good idea to put 2 sex offenders near the primary school even when the village went mad and demanded them move we were told they had a right to live some where

9. Shortie861

Yeah that's what we always hear when we find out there is a sex offender living close to either a school or children that they have rights also which I think is a joke, anyone who is capable of such a thing should not have right to say where they want to live and should also not be allowed as close to children or schools as many are placed.

10. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I think this thread has got slightly confused.A sex offender is not automatically a peadofile so when talking about being close to children a sex offender is not automatically a danger to them.

11. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

It was 3 peadofiles that were place near the school and councle told us they had a right to live some where and any one cought given them trouble could find them selves homeless

As you guessed I moved away as soon as I could

12. Roadley14

Roadley14 New Chatter

Depends on the situation, for example i think there should be 2 different registers.

1 for people who are a danger and another for people who are not.

I personally believe that the Death penalty should be applied to anyone in connection with paedafile rings. Just my opinion though

13. nolvorite

nolvorite New Chatter

Well, I think its legit that they have some kind of label as a sex offender legally, but i'm not really sure its necessary.

14. ItsZippy

ItsZippy New Chatter

It is an interesting question, as we need to weigh the rights of the sex offender against the rights of other people. With certain sex offenders (and most paedophiles) it might be dangerous to let other people know of their past, as people could well try and attack or hurt them. If they have served their required punishment and are not deemed to be a threat, it seems that there is no reason to tell any members of the public. However, the community police would need to know, as they would with any criminal.

15. Shortie861

I do agree with you there to some degree Zippy as nowadays you will get people whom will attack once they know rather than leave the person alone regardless of whether they have changed or not which I will admit isn't the way to go about it, it is a difficult one as letting anyone know but community police would then lead to it getting out and causing problems.

When you look at it like that though wouldn't that be another good reason for sex offenders to be placed away from the public to avoid further offending but to also avoid people finding out and making the persons life hell?

16. clauemi

clauemi Quiet Chatter

Yes I agree with restrictions. I have the right to protect myself and my family from someone who might hurt them. I do believe someone that has made mistakes can change but better safe than sorry.

17. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

yes, the people in the area should know to ensure their kids or whoever doesn't get into something bad with the person.