1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Do you backup?

benjaminp Oct 9, 2011

1. benjaminp

benjaminp Quiet Chatter

We all know that you SHOULD backup, but I'm surprised at how few of my friends do.

I backup certain things so much, it gets a little confusing. My university work is backed up on my memory stick, university network and home computers. I've know people who've lost pieces of work and swore I wouldn't let it happen to me.

Personal stuff I backup on to my external hard drive and certain things go on dropbox; which is very handy for syncing between computers also.

I run a few websites, so often take backups for them. Those are backed up on my home computer (currently have no big/high storage websites) and are copied across to an external also. I also back them up "off site" on a VPS just to be extra sure.

So, that's me, what about you?

2. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

With most things on my computer say music, certain pictures and such and also documents I need to keep I will backup and keep safe on a seperate hard drive. I used to always be someone who would re install a PC without backing up and then be really angry with myself because I had lost so much. Another thing I back up is my favourites aswell as many of those I always forget if I have not got them backed up.

With website backup's I do them each night and I keep one on the server and one saved on my computer.

3. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I keep a copy of important things on a memory stick.
      When I ran a forum I always had a backup on my hard drive as well as on the server.

4. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

I have a external hard drive where I keep photos poems music and other important stuff on

5. Nissapower

Nissapower Shy Chatter

I have studied Graphic Design and the first thing my teacher told us was to always back-up your work!!! This is the key ground rule and since then, I always back-up my stuff! I had the bad surprise one day when I was working, and then the power went out! All my work was gone and I didn't save at all. [-_-]

6. Castle

Castle Getting There

I back up some things on a jump drive, but I am ashamed to say I dont back up my hard drive.

7. RJH

RJH Getting There

No, even though I should I don't, ever get the time.

8. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

Erm.. System Restore for Windows...
      I can make a backup any point in time, well.. for what they offer, ;)

Anyway, other than that, I don't back up anything on my desktop on a flash-drive - stuff like that..
      My desktop isn't going anywhere, so there's no need to worry.

9. Ikram45

Ikram45 Getting There

I only backup important things such as documents and songs also (rarely)

10. MellowGuy

MellowGuy rambling rambler

So far my only consistent backup is my pictures and video of special events. I don't take much pictures and so I treasure the ones that I did keep. So far these are backed up on 3 different hard drives. As for work files and documents I only back up in 1 hard drive. I'm very responsible as to what goes in and out of my computer and so never really had virus problems or hard drive failures.

I really should get into the habit of backing up my laptop more often but I just haven't found the need to. (I probably just jinxed myself with that statement :p )

11. benjaminp

benjaminp Quiet Chatter

Unforeseen things can and will happen.

As for system restores. They only change settings/programs back to previous states. Your documents would still be lost.