1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

Do you let your kids have whatever they want?

clauemi Jan 28, 2012

1. clauemi

clauemi Quiet Chatter

If they cry, whine, kick, scream bloody marry do you end up giving in to their demands? If I'm at the grocery store with my kids and they start crying about something they want I usually just let the tantrum run it's course. I've tried negotiating with them, being strict, taking away sweets and things of that nature but it just seems to make it worse. You know when you are at the register with screaming kids and everyone just stares at you like you're a bad parent? I think those are the people who don't have kids yet lol.
    2. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Well, my cousin's parents do give up easily. I mean, if she starts screaming or shrieking, they'd give her whatever she wants and let her off easily. Wouldn't even send her off to a room as a punishment.
    3. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

My youngest has ADHD and he would often have a screaming tantrum in the shop did I give no
      because it teachs a child they can get anything they want if they have a tantrum
      I would pick him up stick him in the trolley and carry on with my shopping even with him screaming
      as sometimes his tantrums can last for hours but I still never give in to him
    4. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

My children can really go for it when they want something, sulking in the corner to make you feel bad, kicking off with a tantrum and such however I tend to not give into them as it really does not help if you do, they soon realise that they can't always have what they want and expect to be given as a treat rather than ask. Motto I was always told when I was younger was "If you ask you don't get" unless of course it was Christmas or Birthday :D
    5. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

The rest of that is "Don't ask,don't want" :D
    6. magicmagick.com

magicmagick.com Getting There

giving kids evertything they want is the worst thing you can do.

soon you will have spoiled kid who will not know how to respect the things it has...