1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Do you spend enough time with your children?

Beverly Oct 22, 2011

1. Beverly

Beverly Getting There

When i was growing up, i was convinced i had the worst mother in the world. She was either in school or working or being mean, it seemed. Now that i'm an adult, i am having to sort through all my memories and pick out what was real and what was just imagined. Being a child, it's so easy to focus just on the self and not see the benefits the parent is providing. As a mom, i find myself doing some of the things she was doing, like always being busy with work.

And, i have to stop myself from working just to spend time with my daughter so we can hang out and do the things that are important to her.

I really don't want her growing up thinking that i don't care.

Yesterday and day before we spent an intense amount of time together.

Last night, we sat on the couch and watched a show together and it's been ages since we did that.

I am making real efforts to do fun things with her, that hopefully she will remember later.

Just hope it's enough.

2. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I would say that I spend a fair amount of time with my children and they seem happy with that. We will sit and watch movies together especially on rainy days which they love and with my 2 eldest they are now allowed to stay up later on a weekend so we will watch TV on a weekend together which they really do enjoy. My eldest is into xbox gaming and he enjoy it when we play 2 player together on the xbox 360 when I have the time which I do when I can.

3. Beverly

Beverly Getting There

I'm getting more into gaming this past year. Right now, we play the computer games like on Steam and also MMO. I was surprised that my daughter would enjoy those too. She's only seven but seems to grasp the concepts very well.

I'm thinking about getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas. Either that or a new computer, which will be capable of playing better MMO's. I need a computer anyway for my work so i have to decide if the one i am using is good enough or if i can upgrade.

Might just get the Xbox 360 and simply upgrade my RAM on this computer and that would be about $20. Maybe i can have the best of both worlds.

4. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

When my children were at home I spent a lot of time with them
      I helped with home work and we always ate together at the table
      On the weekends we went for walks if the weather was nice if not we played games indoors like snake and ladders
      and when they were little I always read them a bedtime story

5. LucasMom

LucasMom Quiet Chatter

I'm a stay-at-home mom so alot of time with my son. Of course if you ask him, I could be doing more. He's 4 and he's always asking me to play with him. We play all types of games, and go to the park quiet a bit. I hope that this will continue as he grows up.

Like you Beverly what I remember most about my mom when I was growing up is she was always at work, or doing something else and I don't want that to be my son's memories of me.

6. RJH

RJH Getting There

My mother is scum and I make sure I spend as much time with my daughter as I want my daughter to have everything I did not have.

7. IndigenousThinker

IndigenousThinker New Chatter

I do not spend enough time with my son. When he was younger I was active duty Marine Corps, now he lives in another city. I'm not estranged or anything but yeah I'd like to spend more time with him.

He's so much smarter than I was at his age, I just like to sit and talk with him and see what he has to say.

8. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

That is a shame, I am sorry to hear that. I know what you mean when you say about wanting to sit and talk to him, children grow so fast and they come out with some crazy things sometimes but some of it really shocks you and not being able to see them much does mean you miss alot.

9. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

I don't even have them yet, but yeah, my parents spend way too much time with me. XD Sometimes will overshield me. XD Against non-existent threats. XD

10. TiggyDoolittle

TiggyDoolittle Resident Weirdo

I am a single mum so yes I am always with my kids. *apart from school time and bedtime*.