1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Downloading

deepdoop Aug 20, 2014

1. deepdoop

deepdoop New Chatter

I'm going to bed here shortly because I work early in the morning, but I wanted to throw up a thread. This won't be as long as my racism one. I'll just simply ask; what's your opinion on downloading things instead of paying for them?

2. Ich Bin Butler

Ich Bin Butler New Chatter

It's going to force the industry to change for the better. We don't need CDs and records and tapes anymore, and while this is kind of sad, it makes it possible for artists to put out their own music, without someone from their label telling them they have to be more marketable, without anyone taking most of their profits, and so on. Bandcamp is a great site because the artist can put an album on there for $5 (or pay-what-you-want, or free) and people will pay that money directly to the people who made the music.
      I think most people would dish out $5 (or the equivalent in non-American, just check your local Bandcamp artists for comparison) for an album they want before they pay $10 or more.
      Do I like getting things for free, anyway? Of course. Not just music, either. Movies...shows...but I don't feel bad that I get to see something without paying for it. Only time it might bother me is on a little indie release (be it music or film) where the artist needs the money to have a career, and deserves to have a career. However, usually you need to pay for those because it's not popular enough for a torrent with a decent amount of seeds.

3. NeoPhoenix

NeoPhoenix New Chatter

I'm not gonna lie. I still pirate, but not nearly as much as I used to 10 years ago, and I'll tell you why. There's just not really any reason for me to do so anymore. 10 years ago, nothing could beat the convenience that pirated goods gave you. Now businesses are finally producing content that's just as convenient and at very fair prices. Want music? Hit up Spotify. Don't want to deal with ads on Spotify? Pay a fair price every month to listen to as much music as you want. Movies? Netflix. TV? Netflix again as well as some other affordable services. PC Gaming? Steam...oh god how I love you. WWE ppvs? "WWE Network's got you covered for only 9.99 a month, Maggle!" About the only use I still have for pirating is to use it to demo something I want to try out.

I think businesses have finally wised up and started learning how to compete with piracy. You're never going to be able to compete with "free", but if the convenience factor is there with a fair price tag to match, then people are much more willing to use legitimate means to enjoy their entertainment.

4. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

Can I just place a friendly request in this thread (not saying anyone will) but discussing illegal downloading is fine so long as no illegal sites are named or links to them added.
      Thanks folks :)

Shortie861 likes this.
    5. deepdoop

deepdoop New Chatter

I've never felt bad about pirating anything. I still spend money. Hell I spend quite a bit of money, especially when you consider I don't make much of anything. I literally have 32 pre-ordered games right now, and that's not taking into consideration any games that I may impulse buy or indie games I may purchase. That's a lot of money put into one particular industry, just for pre-ordered games alone. Mind you, I pre-ordered so many because I got a deal, but still.

As for music, I rarely buy it anymore. It's just always been the most convenient artform to pirate. I occasionally will buy a CD or a soundtrack for something, but I probably only buy a few CDs a year. With movies I pirate a lot but I also go to the theatre a fair amount. My theatre trips have lessened over the past 2 years but there was a time I'd go quite a few times a month, just to see anything. I don't feel guilty about pirating movies.

And I still buy a fair amount of books too, though I do pirate some of them as well.

My point is that I feel I still spend a lot of money on products even if I pirate more. Money is limited, and I have NEVER bought into the, "If you can't afford it, don't experience it" thing. Why? I'm giving other artists my money. I don't have enough to support every artist. Furthermore, say I listen to a new band and don't give them money... well they've gotten my attention. I may buy later purchases, or just by word of mouth they may get new fans because I may talk about them. They wouldn't make more money from me if piracy didn't exist, I just wouldn't be able to support them at all. I wouldn't even be able to listen to their CD so they'd just be obscure to me.

The only problem I have is when you don't spend a dime on anything. You have people who buy so little and pirate all the time, and because of this, they'll never spend a dime. That's a serious problem. Those are the people who are doing the harm, not the people who can't afford to buy everything so they pirate some stuff that interests them. Just... spend some money once in a while. Just spend what you can. Be reasonable.

Another reason I have no moral conflict concerning downloading is because if I ever publish a book like I've been claiming I will for years, it won't matter to me if people download an epub of it. Will I encourage them to buy it? Of course I will. Making money is always better than not making money. But if someone said they downloaded my book and enjoyed it I'd be happy.

I used to feel like that too, especially concerning indie games, but I've changed my outlook. I still buy indies when I can, and I used to feel bad about "stealing" from the little people. But it's not stealing, and I can't afford to buy every indie game that I want to play. It's the same logic that I mentioned up above. I actually just bought one a few minutes ago. I spend money on anything that interests me when I can.

6. Ich Bin Butler

Ich Bin Butler New Chatter

There are also different ways to support artists. I don't know how helpful this is to big-time bands, but who cares because they're already rich, but for little local bands, it helps them way more to go to their shows, even if it's just a five dollar or donation-based show, and maybe, if you really like them, to drop 10 or 15 bucks on a shirt. It also feels good to see how excited some of them get when you personally engage them and ask about merch.
      When I finally start writing songs and recording and have a Bandcamp and official stuff like that, I'll just be stoked that someone downloaded or even listened to a song I made. It'll all be free or pay-what-you-want, just in case someone is generous enough to throw me a dollar or two.
      Jeremy Messersmith does that, putting his albums on Bandcamp and telling people "don't illegally download my album, just have it for free if you want it." But he's a pretty chill dude. I was at one of his shows and when people started making requests, he was like "hey, you guys paid to come here. I'll play whatever you want." He also didn't have a proper set list because his bassist just wrote "etc." after like three songs. I guess that's neither here nor there, but it was funny at the time.

7. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I will admit that I have on the odd occasions downloaded an album rather than purchasing it much of the time because I do not always feel albums are worth what they charge. Many of times you have an album with a few good songs and the rest are awful which does not warrant the price tag a lot of the time.