1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

Ferguson, Mo

Maddie Nov 26, 2014

1. Maddie

Maddie Quiet Chatter

What do you think of the verdict to not indict Darren Wilson for shooting Mike Brown in Ferguson, MO?

I'm not trying to start any crap, I'm just curious what everyone else thinks about this subject.
    2. john123

john123 New Chatter

I agree with it. The evidence was pretty clear that Brown tried to charge Wilson.
    3. Maddie

Maddie Quiet Chatter

Yeah, if Brown charged toward Wilson then what other choice did he have? What I can't figure out is why Wilson "resigned" when he wasn't going to be charged with anything for shooting Brown?
    4. Marti

Marti Super Moderator Staff Member

i agree
    5. Black Angel

Black Angel New Chatter

After the Eric Garner situation, I really wasn't surprised, but compared to the Rodney King incident and other similar incidents since then, I am glad that people from all walks of life united to spread awareness about the epidemic going on in this country. 20 years ago, with the Rodney King, Sean Bell, Amadou Diallo and other similar victims of police brutality, White people collectively buried their heads in the sand, and said "well the 'n' deserved it anyway, he should've listened/spoken English (in Diallo's case)" and then went back to their existence in blissful ignorance.

But this time, especially with the Eric Garner situation, something changed, and the White people that most likely would've done the same as other Whites did 20+ years ago, instead, stood up and said "wait a minute, something isn't right here," and from that point on, the Blacks and Latinos who had been dealing with this abuse for decades, had a new ally.

As for Brown and Wilson, both sides could've handled it better. Although I did find Wilson's testimony about how big and scary Mike Brown was to be an utter crock of sh*t, since they were the same height. And for all of Wilson's injuries, there was barely a scratch on him, you'd think there'd been more especially since Brown was a big guy, and the difference is night and day when you compare his photos to George Zimmerman's.

Brown did not rob the store, but when the clerk asked him for id for the cigarettes, he shouldn't have manhandled him. Wilson came from a department that was just as bad as his final department ended up being, so his bias was obvious, and as a law enforcement officer, the onus was on him to NOT escalate the situation. Thank God, the DOJ's report has since vindicated the protestors, and since they found that the department bullied the residents and violated their constitutional rights, in that area and fleeced them out of millions, while, simultaneously, pardoning the violations of fellow officers and their friends, the rabbit hole is only getting deeper.

What many of the Wilson supporters don't understand is that, what started to be about Michael Brown, ended up encompassing something much, much larger than that. Mike Brown was just the catalyst, that set off a lot of rage involving similar situations. People were already angry over the Eric Garner situation, Mike Brown was simply the straw that broke the camel's back.

When the NYPD wanted to prepare NYC for a riot, I knew that Garner's killer would walk, in the same way that Trayvon Martin, Amadou Diallou, and Sean Bell's killers did, just like Rodney King's assailants did.

So really, I wasn't surprised.

Just like, I won't be when Akai Gurley and Tamir Rice's killers walk free.

However, I am glad that people from all walks of life are no longer burying their heads in the sand, and are now uniting against this, and they are using technology to spread awareness about it. Considering the fact that 25% of Black NYPD officers fear their colleagues when off duty and have been treated with the same amount of abuse as regular civilians have, and are fearful of retaliation from the union and their department for reporting it, means that this is a real problem that doen't just affect Black civilians, but Black cops as well.

But as a Black woman, who is married to a Black man of similar size and stature to Eric Garner (my husband is 6'6" and a very muscular and cuddly 300+ lbs) my worst fear used to be some punk with a gun thinking my husband is a bigger threat than he is because of his size, but after the jury decided that it was ok for cops to strangle people on the street, my biggest fear is now a cop. My husband is a gentleman, and has never been arrested, but that won't stop some racist cop with a taste for blood from harassing him anyway.

The only comfort I can take from this, is the fact that I have a lot of cops and lawyers in my family, in fact, my stepfather is a retired detective, and so, I can breathe a little easier in knowing that the cops in NYC and NYS will at least leave him alone.
      Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
      NecroWolf likes this.