1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

George Strait

Shortie861 Aug 2, 2011

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone hear heard of George Strait? I myself hadn't heard of him until around 3 years ago when a friend I have in PA, USA suggested some songs by him for me to listen to, they are

Carrying Your Love With Me

It Just Comes Natural

What are some of your favourite George Strait songs?
    2. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

He is a great performer, my first recollection of him goes back to the mid 70's. I was a little disappointed that he had re cut a record that one of my favorite Houston locals had previously recorded, "Amarillo By Morning". Originally it was recorded by Kelly Shoppa of Houston. Kelly was the house band at my favorite hang out and it was named The Wells Fargo Club. Kelly was a great singer in his own right but for some reason he never really recorded much, even today I see where he is still performing. He was always content to play clubs and have a steady job. His stay at the Wells Fargo lasted from around 74 to the early 80's, I'm sure he made lots of money. The house draw at that time was Roy Head, which I wouldn't walk from my desk here to the refrigerator to see or hear, but never the less he was somehow the main liner, he must have been partners or friends with the owners. Later Roy Head would build his own night spot way out there on the North side of Houston, I don't know if it is still there or not.

I have my computer tied up at the moment so I can't post the two different versions but I'll do that before the day is over. I still like Kelly s version of the record but George Strait did do a good re do and he made more money I'm sure, not because it was particularly better but he was just more well known and had that big studio behind him, they could buy their way into a radio DJ's library, that makes a lot of difference. Oh and I should say the song was originally written for Kelly Shoppa not George Strait which some seem to get confused and think other wise.

Okay, here are the two versions, I like Kelly but then that's just me.

This is the real deal here, he is one of the best performers from Houston Texas, he was also a great guitar player.