1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

General Grammar and Spelling

Shortie861 Oct 11, 2011

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Have you ever been on a forum where the staff or members have had really bad grammar or spelling? What are your thoughts on a forum where really bad grammar or spelling is very frequent.

I myself have been a few forums where sometimes I had to look more than once at the post in question before I understood. A few grammar and spelling mistakes in my eyes is fine as not everyone has great grammar and spelling however when I come across a forum where the staff or members don't seem to take much time or care over their posts I find it unprofessional and as though the staff or members really are not that serious about their forum.

2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I don't mind spelling mistakes,not everyone is good at spelling and some of us cheat by using spell checkers :)
      I find so long as I can read and understand a post then that's fine
      My biggest failing is punctuation I'm not the best at it :)

3. TheHaze

TheHaze Shy Chatter

In my eyes, a staff member should know basic English. Unless of course, it is a foreign language based forum. Staff members who type like so. "Hi der guise u kk? Cya m8" or some variation of text slang shouldn't really be staff members lol. I understand the odd mistake is unavoidable though!

4. Castle

Castle Getting There

I dont care actually. Keep in mind forums are universal. To many, English is not their default language. As long as people are respectful it it ok with me.

However, I also think staff should not post in abbreviations and use internet lingo heavily in posts and threads. Just type the way you talk.

5. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

Bad grammar and spelling mistakes don't worry me, I'm sure I make enough of my own.
      What I do find annoying is when people use text slang like that in TheHazes post above.

6. Shortie861

I have to admit slang like that I don't mind in my own personal text messages or messages on FB or on say MSN, heck I can sometimes send messages like that to friends via text, messages on Fb and MSN but on forums I don't like to see it and I don't use it myself on forums.

7. Susan1814

Susan1814 Shy Chatter

Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. But it really does matter if you have a professional business website or something!

8. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

I went on a forum many years ago and the spelling was so bad I had to pm the admin
      but I wish i did not pm him he was not very happy about it
      Told me where to go ( can`t repeat what he said as there is minors here) then he went and banned me reason for the ban was for been a know it all
      His forum shut down ofter about a week

9. Shortie861

Got to love admin's like that, they act so nasty and then wonder why their forum has gone downhill. I have been on numerous forums like this myself and when I have voiced my opinion I have been talked down like a little child and yet the person doing the talking dow was probably younger than me, alot of these kind of admins though run their forum purely just for friends and the like so they have somewhere to hang out online and alot of the time I feel out of place and the spelling is awful or it's just slang.

10. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

I could understand him been upset if I posted the bad spelling on the forum for every one to see but I did it by pm
      And he is younger than you Shortie

11. Shortie861

Yeah it does get my goat up to be honest when you get people like that, yet your being considerate in personally telling them by PM instead of making a scene on the forum.

12. TheHaze

TheHaze Shy Chatter

Which is why, as an Admin on two forums myself, I make it my priority to be as mature as I possibly can towards the members. Sure, I've had one or two who have tested my limits both with their atrocious use of English and their personalities but in my view, being an admin is all about over-coming these challenges.

If you cannot handle someone trying to actually help your forum, you shouldn't run a forum. Simple as.

13. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Wow FEE, what a bad situation you were in! The admin must have been really bad! I feel sorry for you!

14. Beverly

Beverly Getting There

I would prefer that everyone use their best spelling but not everyone is a good speller. My big bugaboo is the sentence that begins with a lower case letter. That bothers me. How hard is it to hit that shift/letter key?

15. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

Everyone is human, so you might make a mistake one time or the other. Heck, I've seen moderators doing it at large forums.

I've never been to a forum that I can't understand the contents of a message a mod/admin written and I'm glad I never joined one of those forums.

On Google Searches, I've seen a moderator mix up horizontal with vertical ( or the other way around - can't remember / but it wasn't anything important ) for one of his/her many tutorials.
      I wanted to contact them, but I didn't..

16. Dirty Harold

Dirty Harold Bringin' Secsy Back

I'm laid back, so I don't mind a few grammatical errors. Alas, on my own forum, I prefer my members to type with correct grammar, but I don't make it a rule - I don't want to be grammar Nazi.

17. benjaminp

benjaminp Quiet Chatter

I think it's important for forum staff to have decent spelling and grammar. Not perfect, by all means, but decent.

If I see a admin or mod with bad spelling or grammar, it gives me the impression that they're young. While I have nothing against younger people and there are many exceptions to the rule; they do tend to be a little more unpredictable. I don't really want to be on a forum that might shut-down on a whim or randomly ban members who have a difference of opinion.

18. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

more often than not, younger staff are rasher than older staff, I'd give you that.

19. magicmagick.com

magicmagick.com Getting There

I think we should all try to have the best spelling and grammar we can.

english is not the first language for many and some mistakes are understandable.

20. Hotspot

Hotspot Quiet Chatter

I haven't really seen staff with bad spelling and or grammar... but I've seen various people over the internet with it and it drives me nuts!
      Which is funny, cause when I started going on forums, I actually used "u" instead of "you"... XD

I notice lot's of people confuse "Your" with "You're".