1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

Harambe, The Gorilla Killed In The Cincinnati Zoo

Ella Jun 1, 2016

1. Ella

Ella New Chatter

On Saturday May 28th, Harambe a 17 year old endangered species gorilla was shot by the zoo when a 4 year old child had deliberately climbed into the enclosure.

The mother Michelle Gregg has been named, and many hold her responsible as she was negligent for failing to take care of her child. Currently the police are still investigating the evidence as people are questioning whether the zoo acted correctly. Doubt has been cast as to whether a tranquilizer should have been used, but the zoo said that was a risk as it may have taken too long to take effect.

There are too many conflicting tales; witnesses say the gorilla was protecting the child who had fallen into the moat after deliberately forcing his way under a fence, and while this won't bring back Harambe, his death was preventable.

The question arises, should parents be sued for negligence? Then there is talk of the parents wishing to sue the zoo. The police are also investigating the mother who has had her children taken away from her before. If that is the case, questions should be asked as to why she was allowed to have custody again.
    2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I think this should investigated on 2 issues firstly the mother why did she not know what her 4 years old was doing.
      Secondly how was it possible for a 4 year old to even get into the Gorilla enclosure think safety issues need looking at.
      As far as the Zoo choosing to shoot the Gorilla I think it was the safest option.
    3. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

This is a tough one if I am honest as the parents should have been watching the child but also how was the child able to get into the enclosure? A lot need looking at here but I am also in two minds as to whether the Gorilla should have been shot or whether it was just going to help the child. I guess we will never know and it being a child it may have been the safest option.
    4. KyngzIndeyen

KyngzIndeyen Getting There

From what I've heard, the enclosure was 30 years old and not up to modern standards. This could all have been prevented had a better enclosure been in place.

However, once it happened, I guess there was really no option but to shoot the gorilla for the child's own protection :( .