1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Hard To Get A Job Nowadays

Naiwen Jul 13, 2013

1. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

I'm discouraged... I went to interviews after interviews, still nothing. So yeah, how did you find your job? i've been applying, applying, sending CVs, no answers. I'm thinking about starting something myself, but no investment funds. How to survive this?

2. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

What Country, I guess is the most important question before anyone could offer any insight. I know you mentioned you have college, so that proves the current trend economies aren't hiring persons with degrees or those that aren't. I have always been blessed and chose a field that I wasn't reaching too high, I was a simple mechanic and also for a period was a welder before I found it was killing my eyes. Sometimes I regret I never did better but then it passes and I enjoyed my working life. Hope you find something soon, it is very depressing to have potential and not be able to use it. I don't work now but only on occasion and I get tired of sitting here talking to the dog, not that she's a bad conversationalist, I really do love her company :)

3. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

I only have a job thanks to my family knowing people in high places. But it isn't easy these days, specially if your really old.

4. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Canada, french part. I can easily move to the English-Speaking part, but won't do me any good.

5. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

I would have thought the Canadian economy was doing well. My Father's side of the family were all Canadian French. What kind of jobs have you applied for. We have employment placement services which charge you if they help find something, in your case that might not be a bad idea since they do a big portion of business with employers that just simply call them and tell them what they need, less trouble and time consuming for employers to use those services. I never found it necessary to do that since I was always in an inner circle where we always knew who was hiring in my field. If you haven't tried that you might look into it, even something temporary would be better than nothing.

6. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

I don't wanna pay for it. I've tried the free services, but to no avail at all. Anyways, I've applied to a few more, fingers' crossed! Kind of jobs : clerks, customer service and coordinators, even translator
      from Mandarin to English and from English to French. Housekeepper, nanny, barmaids, financial advisors. And no, lots of unemployed young adults in Canada these days. Sometimes, after the interview, I thought the job wasn't for me.

7. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

I think economy effects an entire continent, not just specific areas. A good example is this keystone pipeline that is being held up here for purely political reasons., it effects two countries not just one. Another bad thing about an economy that is not hiring is that they also have a tendency to not pay as well, they have the upper hand with so many looking for work. I think I would seriously consider moving to another location that is not so depressed as far as jobs. There seems to be jobs here now, not as good as it was 5 years ago but they still manage. As long as there are needs for goods and services there will be jobs here in the USA even with these terrible forced health care laws wasting money and resources as they are. Our economy is in a cruise mode now, not looking ahead just staying above water and paying the bills. I hope you find something soon........you can always run away and join the circus :)

8. Mozzie

Mozzie Regular Chatter

i found it hard here as well in Oz, and it is still hard for a lot of people. Again it is the outlay if you want to stary something and there aint a lot of support for studies.

9. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

I never tried to use mine but we American war vets do have business loans available. My only problem was I never wanted to own a business where I had to listen to the bickering and dissent that is associated with car repairs. So I just spent my working time working for an organization or company and not have to put up with the other stuff that goes along with it. The car business is one of those one of kind type ones that people are peed off when they get there and before anything was done. Yes there are a lot of rip off artist pretending to be repair shops, you can usually use common sense and tell which one is just that and which is not. Thank goodness we have Social Security and Medicare here in the US, without that all of us would be sleeping under a bridge. I started paying in at 15 so I think I earned mine, it is not an entitlement but an account I paid into for 50 years, next month I will never have to pay into it again. With the way goods and services continue to skyrocket we may be forced to work until we die. :beaver:

10. jnugget

jnugget Regular Chatter

Its hard here in UK too. It gets to the point you just want to give up and go sit in a corner :/

11. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

I have an interview on Wednesday for a manager's position at an insurance company, wish me luck and fingers' crossed! How do you all live if you can't find work? You're all hardly getting by then?

12. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

IMA retired and slightly retarded......but I get my money from my SS and occasionally work a bit when I feel up to it, which lately has not been the case. But I hope so much for you really I do, get that job! :bounce:

13. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Oh my yes!

14. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

When will you know if you got it or not ?

15. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Within the next few weeks. I hate waiting!

16. Jasper123

Jasper123 New Chatter

It's so hard out there in all parts of the world, especially to get your foot onto the ladder, just keep plugging away and something will fall into place.

17. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Yes, I'm trying to find some opportunities in teaching languages, either French or English or Chinese Mandarin, but to no avail at all here.

18. Jasper123

Jasper123 New Chatter

It's always best to think outside the box, how you do this with what you want to do, I'm not sure, maybe, there are online companies who direct face to face courses, or maybe you can do it on Skype, (you'll probably need a website to sell yourself)

Everything is web based today, head to there to get ideas.

19. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Actually, yes, there are many people wanting to learn Chinese, I cannot find a good clientele, my problem.

20. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

Try the embassies, I'm sure they use translators