1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Anime/Manga Haruhi Suzumiya

Grungie Mar 31, 2012

1. Grungie

Grungie Raging Alcoholic

This is a quite popular series, but many people may be more familiar with some of the memes spawned from the show. Most famous meme is the Hare Hare Yukai song:

and this picture: [​IMG]

Without spoiling too much of the plot, and to leave some surprise to it I'll describe the series (which is called The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) in a nutshell. Though the story is named Haruhi Suzumiya, she is not the main character of the show. The main character is Kyon (real name unknown). The story is told through his perspective and he is just an average high school student. Though his first day of high school he meets this girl who sits right behind him in class who is this beautiful, yet extremely eccentric girl named Haruhi. As time passes he has a strange relationship with her (as in not romantic, or consider her a friend) and in the end somehow gets dragged into starting a club with her. She then forces 3 other students into Haruhi's mysterious club. She then later explains the point of the club is to spread excitement around the world. Kyon and his fellow clubmates: bookworm Yuki Nagato, timid and shy Mikuru Asahina, and the strange, yet friendly Koizumi Itsuki, are dragged into various hairbrained schemes that Haruhi constructs to ease her boredness with life.

There are currently 2 seasons of the show and a full length movie (164 mins). The strange thing with the show is that there are 3 different episode orders with the first season, and the 2009 reaired version has new episodes that air and take place between episodes within the first season. You don't have to watch both seasons in the full order, but true Haruhi fans will watch the second season within the first. A slight disclaimer is that sometimes the second season is called The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. This can be a problem and a source of confusion since that is the name of the movie. But many places either just call the second season as the second season or call it the 2009 version.

My only requirement for the series is to watch at least the first season to understand the movie. Since the movie won't make much sense if you don't know the premise of the series. I guarantee you that the movie (albeit long) is quite good.

There is also a spinoff series called "The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya". This spinoff series is done by a different person, and does not fit in with the series in sort of an alternate timeline, this series is slightly crazier and in many cases funnier, but mind you the episodes are short and tend to be under 5 mins. I also advise you see at least the first season to watch this spinoff.

2. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

based on that pic, I want to go to japan to say hello :p

seriously, I watched this and after a few episodes I was bored and uninterested. I think I got to episode 9 and just stopped halfway which is rare for me to do.

3. Grungie

Grungie Raging Alcoholic

:(

Sadly I think that only happens to other girls.

4. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

seems like girls have all the fun.

5. Grungie

Grungie Raging Alcoholic

I know, they get to experience tentacles too.

6. Hotspot

Hotspot Quiet Chatter

Guys can too! I've seen some pictures. XD I thought they were cool.

I like the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it was nice. I did find it a bit boring though, but on another forum I was also told I had horrible taste in anime for liking this anime, even though I had said I didn't like it that much and that it was okay. The guy was a jerk.
      Mikuru is my favorite character.

7. Grungie

Grungie Raging Alcoholic

Yeah, there are a few dry spots in the show. Most Anime forums are in sort of factions over this show. Some are too in love with it, and others are hating too much on it.