1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Making Games

HAL WARD Jul 9, 2014

1. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

The last several months I've been busy doing some 2d game building, like a lot of others I have quite a few game engines to play with and have a huge assortment of toys. One of my favorites is the Construct 2 engine, simply one of the best, easiest, creations to roll out in a very long time. It is able to build or output to all the popular mobiles and even desktop PCs, using html5 code. Finished published games are able to run in your browser, Chrome or Firefox are the two most favorable due to a few variations in other browsers and how they handle audio and html5. Don't short sell this little game engine when it comes to building desktop games, it will surprise you to see how fast and smooth it really is. Most people think of a 2d game as a simple side scroll er or top down game, it is only limited by what you do with it and how much imagination you have, and of course the speed and horsepower of your desktop. Fortunately most of today's desktops are plenty powerful enough to run about anything you can build in 2d. I'm working on a level 3 now for a little game I am building for another family member. Just fast simple cute game playing, which is what 2d should be about. I haven't attempted to port it to mobile because I don't own a mobile device so testing is a little more incomplete. One thing I noticed a long time ago was the fact most of the good gaming engines come from the UK, there are a lot of developers and have more or less carved out a huge following and usage. Construct 2 has a free addition and a very liberal professional license, you can download the free version and make about any type of game you wish, you can even work around some limitations by using different tricks using the free addition. The free version limits you to a set number of events which are the building blocks of a 2d game , but surprisingly it only takes a very few events to have a fun workable level or complete game. If you download the free version just start with the great tutorials and you will learn how to create a game with little effort. If you use photoshop or The Gimp then you will be able to build something very quick. If you don't have either you can also use Inkscape to build vector images which are better anyway since they will enlarge without limits and no jaggies. Another nice tool to go with Inkscape is PaintNet, these two tools alone are every bit as good or better than the most expensive tools from Adobe and others. Here are the links if you have time to learn and have fun doing it.
      https://www.scirra.com/construct2
      http://www.inkscape.org/en/
      http://www.getpaint.net/

This last url is special and be sure and visit it if you want to learn Inkscape and how easy it is to build your own art creations for placing in your games, it will simply blow your mind how simple he makes it.
      http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com/

:wave:

Shortie861 likes this.
    2. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing these HAL :) my brother would understand all this a lot better than me :) he has just got a degree at University for this so it's all new to me. I shall take a look and see if I can get some skills :)

HAL WARD likes this.
    3. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

I spent some time in Flash doing a few on line tutorials, this is close to the original, I'll continue and do the animation with this guy some time in the future. That's the great thing about using these programs , you don't need to be an artist to actually make some pretty decent characters for games.

Attached Files:

Shortie861 likes this.
    4. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

That is pretty cool HAL :)