1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Minimum Wage

Demon_skeith Aug 13, 2013

1. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

What do you believe that minimum wage should be in the USA? It's currently $7.50 an hour and Obama wants it up to $9 and a recent protest by fast food restaurants wants it doubled to $15.

Given the times I do believe that minimum wage should be up by another dollar if not up to the amount Obama wants. But to raise it to high like $15 would prove to be disastrous as any low grunt work could be eliminated and lower the amount of available jobs.

2. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

As I said, minimum wage would depend on the average "life cost". So I think it's only "proportional" to it.

3. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

An age old question that will never be answered, the more you make the more taxes you pay, the more goods and services will cost and on and on. I find it surprising someone like obama cries out for higher wages for minimum earners, he himself has never had a job that wasn't paid for by tax payers. In his organizer duties he was paid from taxpayer funded grants to the people who ran those organizations. The answer is to work at what ever you can and try and advance to something that pays better. In 1971 after taxes I took home 90 dollars a week, that was figured on minimum wage then, but gasoline wasn't 4 dollars a gallon, it was 25 cents a gallon, a gallon of milk wasn't over 3 dollars it was 59 cents. An unfurnished one bedroom apartment with all utilities paid was 150 dollars are less depending where you lived. Things are still pretty much even when you weigh the minimum wage with current cost, more sounds better but in reality it just makes the overall cost skyrocket and possibly even take away jobs that are no longer feasible for an employer to pay, notice I'm not saying anything about this new health care law that will bring everyone to their knees because it is a license to steal and only the minimum wage earner is going to be the one paying for it, the government and special interest and unions aren't going to pay a dime for it. Not a bright future out there is it :)

4. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Work to pay more taxes.

5. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

The healthcare insurance wouldn't be a problem if everyone pays in. But we have too many cheap Americans living here which drains the resources.

Naiwen likes this.
    6. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

I beg the difference, where are you going to find all these health care workers called doctors and nurses, you do understand the professions have been decimated for the past 40 years due to ungodly insurance forced on them due to silly lawsuits. Just a hint, I saw my primary care doctor over two months ago and as a rule the VA sets up appointments about 2 to 3 months apart unless of course your very sick and dying, then if you're smart you will be seeing a private doctor not the VA, but anyway this was a new doctor because I changed my health care location back to this one, she seemed like a good person and wanted to do what she could to take care of me, she has been gone from this office now for over a month, I have no primary care doctor assigned, today I received a letter notifying me that my appointment that was set up two months ago is now canceled, don't call us we'll call you!! So when those private waiting rooms become filled with people waiting to see a professional don't say we didn't warn you! This bill is shameful and will cost you more every six months, next year you can tell me it isn't a big problem, if your healthy enough. No need to even go into giving all your personal information to the government, and no up until now they don't know everything about us, but they will. ;)

7. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

Not sure what it's like in your area, but it's nothing like that in my healthcare area.

8. MsPJ

MsPJ Ms Biscuit

Edit...got it wrong.... :lol:

9. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

10. MsPJ

MsPJ Ms Biscuit

Ah right thanks for that APS..i got confused & i should have know what the wage was for a 16-17 year old
      my daughter was on it until she turned 18 in June just there.

11. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

It might be because it hasn't taken effect yet, get ready for 330 million people to start using health care, they're going to use it because they're being forced to pay for it. Eventually it will get gutted and just be history. You can't run socialized medicine in a 330 million environment, and that number will go up and up and up in the coming 20 years, if you did some simple math you would see it is completely unsustainable unless your are born into this world to work simply to pay some outrageous health care insurance or tax or what ever to hell they want to call it. Now how are the youth going to pay for this when they can't even afford car insurance and all live at home with mom and dad :) it's a sham and was designed by fools trying to garner more votes from the dummies. How could something supposedly so important be written in a matter of days, well if you follow the news lately and see even though it was implemented and signed into law our illustrious kenyan leader took it upon himself without authority to delay the pieces of the program, he's soon to find out from the supreme court once again he is not a king, no laws are written by anyone but the congress, it passed in the senate simply because they used taxpayer money to buy votes from other members and other states, which is also highly illegal and done without any authority, we like to call it treason from where I was educated. It will be destroyed take my word for it. If you want something in life you work for it and that includes insurance and other things, I don't care to pay for other peoples health care while they're all sitting around playing dominoes and drinking beer in the park.

MsPJ likes this.
    12. DarthApple

DarthApple New Chatter

Well said.

13. Marti

Marti Super Moderator Staff Member

it is 10.00 here in BC Canada

14. NecroWolf

NecroWolf Shy Chatter

If you consider buying power of minimum wage, and if it stayed the same though all these years, it would be something like $11 an hour. As the years go by it's buying power decreases. This is why you can work 60 hours a week and still get government assistance. Also, I have noticed prices go up regardless of if the minimum wage gets raised or not, not because it does.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=405

15. Maddie

Maddie Getting There

Here's the problem the way I see it. The minimum wage is suppose to be $7.25 per hour in the U.S. Unfortunately, that doesn't pay for much these days. Like NecroWolf before me has already said, people hike the prices up on things like milk and gas regardless if the minimum wage rate goes up. So many people are having to work more than one job or wind up in debut up to their eye balls. 50 years ago, one parent could work a job outside the home while the other parent could stay at home to take care of the house and kids. Now a days, both parents not only have to work outside the home but sometimes both parents have to work more than one job to make ends meet.

16. pandaa

pandaa New Chatter

I think $15 is too much, however, I do agree that $7.25 is way too little. I live in Washington State, where $9.32 is the minimum, and I can tell you from personal experience that even that doesn't go too far. I'm not sure what can be done though, because I don't think raising the wage is going to help.

17. renaissance247

renaissance247 New Chatter

I believe if McDonald's wants to pay you $2 an hour to sweet their floors, or even $5 total for the day, they should be allowed to. Why? Because you are sweeping the floors at McDonald's.