1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

OLDIES vs Todays Music

NytashaR Aug 2, 2011

1. NytashaR

NytashaR New Chatter

How many of you think that the the oldies and better than todays music?

2. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Deffinitely, I am currently listening to Wet Wet Wet and thinking to myself why can't we have music and bands like this back in the charts now. Nowadays we have such awful music being released and it's mainly because of the reality TV shows such as Xfactor who bring in talent and even if they don't win they still try their luck anyway.

3. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

Give me 60's music any day :)

4. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

I guess you folks know the problem with music is the way it is promoted. In old'en days when I was young we had real time radio, everything was pretty much off the cuff and the DJ's played what people wanted to hear. New artists were glad to give promo copies of their work to every DJ that would take a copy and play it. That has not been the case now for close to 30 years, there is no outlet for an artist unless he finances himself or a large recording studio has his contract. So the end result is anyone with enough money can rent a recording studio and cut a record, now is it good, well obviously most aren't and I hope those people that spent their hard earned money have a real job.

I listen to nothing but my own library which is extensive, I'm going to put a little in my post for everyone to listen to. Of course not everyone will like what I post but that's alright, we all have different taste and perceptions, but linking music in my videos gives me a conduit to continue doing my videos for fun and pleasure. Since Dailymotion has no widget for the player on this forum I will just link the image. Tick any of my images and you will get the music and video.

[​IMG]

Kaynil likes this.
    5. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

I love the 50`s and 60`s music todays stuff is not good

6. MamaFrankie

MamaFrankie Quiet Chatter

50s, 60s and 70s is better than 80s, 90s and 21st century music. I haven't followed the charts for the last 25 years.

7. KyngzIndeyen

KyngzIndeyen Regular Chatter

It's easy to look at some poor-quality songs from today's charts, and compare them unfavourably to better songs from yesteryear. However, I don't think this is entirely fair: there was some very lousy music in every previous era too, but most of the lesser-quality songs have been forgotten, and the true classics have been allowed to emerge over time. That hasn't been allowed to happen with the music of today just yet: we're still being subjected to this era's music in its entirety, good and bad. A lot of people aren't actually comparing oldies music to today's music: they're comparing today's music to the best that oldies music has to offer. In that comparison, today's music is bound to come off worse.

However, I don't think that's the whole story. The music industry of today has a more thorough understanding of what sells to a mass market than it did 50 years ago. And, unfortunately, it turns out it isn't necessarily musical talent: it's often superficial things like the physical attractiveness of the artist. So, it's no surprise that mainstream chart music has shifted more towards those things. I'm sure there's plenty of excellent music being put out today: it just isn't topping the mainstream charts as often as it used to, so we need to look around for it.

(I'm sorry I didn't really give a definitive answer as to which is better :p !)

MamaFrankie and Kaynil like this.
    8. MamaFrankie

MamaFrankie Quiet Chatter

Great answer, Kyng. Sadly, today it is a case of 'style over content' with looks counting above talent. To some extent, it has always been so (think photogenic but talentless young men being launched as teen idols over the years) but at least the acts had something else going for them. Today it is very much the be all and end all and good looks are marketed as more important.

Agreed that there was bad music in other eras too. But at least there was a variety of styles. Now it's all one genre (urban noise) and there is no diversity and no originality apart from Lady GaGa who does at least do her own thing.

But there are no future classics being written. Songs of the calibre of 'Hey Jude', 'Whiter Shade Of Pale', 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', 'Without You', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother', 'Groovy Kind Of Love', 'The Winner Takes It All' and 'The Living Years' just aren't out there. These songs will endure forever. Will any of today's be as fondly remembered?

9. KyngzIndeyen

KyngzIndeyen Regular Chatter

Good points there. Even when people did make poor-quality music in the past, they at least had to be talented in order to have the opportunity to make it in the first place.

And, yes: it's hard to think of mainstream pop artists who might be remembered in 20 or 30 years' time. Most of them will probably just be forgotten as soon as someone younger and more talented comes along. I suppose people like Adele might be remembered, but even that isn't "this generation's classical music": it's a higher grade of pop music than the usual drivel, but still ultimately pop music.

10. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

Drums and electric guitars gave us Rock'n'Roll and the Pop Revolution of the 60's, the electric organ continued that and gave us Flower Power through the 70's and into the eighties. There has been other genres since but to my mind, the main reason pop music has got boring is because no new instruments have been invented recently.

11. MortSahlfan

MortSahlfan New Chatter

I will introduce myself but first, this is not contest. Take one year, an even number - 1970; I can name about 100 great/good bands/artists. Just do a comparison for the last 35 years, and the 35 years before that.

It's the same problem with movies. When the business became lucrative, instead of movies made by guys who loved movies and wanted to make a profit, or music made by passionate people, it became ONLY business.

But the big thing is technology. It's not human. 1980's brought drum machines, keyboard induced noise posed as something else, and then MTV, where image became the most important. There was a time you just listened to the music, so you dedicated everything to your ears. With TV, you were looking at sexuality.. If you take the humanity out of art you have plastic nothing.

pink floyd, beatles, Doors, zeppelin, who, supertramp, steely dan, ELO, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, David Bowie, Marley, Stylistics, Stones, Hendrix, Dylan?
      John Lennon solo, Elton John, Billy Joel, Delfonics, Jefferson Airplane, Alan Parsons Project, Cream, Rush, Genesis (Peter Gabriel era), Dire Straits, The Police, Jethro Tull, Wings, CSNY, Bee Gees, Carpenters, ABBA, Eric Clapton.. I could go on and on....