1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

PlayStation Network offline for 12 hours tonight

Shortie861 Jan 19, 2012

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Source: Digital Spy

Are you going to be affected by this downtime? Will it affect you immensely or will you not even realise?

2. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

It will not affect me since I'm not a PS3 owner but I know of people that it will affect, :sneaky:
      After this and all of the negative reviews which I've heard about the PS3, I'm going to buy a XBOX 360.

Shortie861 likes this.
    3. Smokey

Smokey Shortie's Teddy Bear <3 Staff Member

What negative reviews might that be? Just curious.

Doesn't affect me that much. I generally don't game during the day anymore and I can't access my content at the moment anyway due to a system deactivation situation I had a few days ago. This friday I should be able to lift the lock on re-activating my consoles though. :) Might wait until Saturday to give it a go though just to be extra safe :)

As long as Sony is improving the network, the downtime is minimal. It's not as if it'll be out for a month :p

4. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

It's only when comparing the PS3 to the XBOX 360, ;)

Shortie861 likes this.
    5. Smokey

Well if that isn't a fanboy statement i dunno what is :p

If you break down the architecture of both consoles they offer virtually the same stuff, only difference is the 360 is more flashy looking with their new 'dashboard' which, isn't really new, it's been on their handsets/cellphones for awhile now :p and you get like maybe one feature over the PS3 (at least for right now) that being cross-game chat. Which doesn't really appeal to a lot of gamers (just pick up the phone if you want to talk? :p)

The only real difference between the two, is one forces you to pay to play online while the other is free. ;) Something I noticed by going to my friends houses who have 360s over PS3s is that the mass majority of their collection was all multiplatform titles which I found a tad odd since the 360 is supposedly 'the best', why don't too many people own the exclusives besides Halo? which is also available on PC....so is it really an exclusive? :p

6. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

I love how they give advance notice on the downtime.

7. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

I'm not really into gaming so I'm not sure how I can be a fanboy, :rolleyes:
      I've just put reviews together from gamers and played both myself and the XBOX 360 wins, hands down.

Maybe you're a fanboy because you're defending the PS3, [​IMG]

- First, the XBOX 360's controller is easier to use than the PS3.
      - The XBOX 360 online is a lot better. ( you've listed some reasons already )
      - The graphics for both consoles are the same.

Can you list a reason what makes the PS3 better than the XBOX 360?

8. Smokey

Those two are complete opinions :) and each console has a replicated version of the other console's controller if the person using it prefers one over the other so it's not really a valid argument :)
      The online for the 360 isn't better, it's virtually the same, just a different 'nicer' interface. M$ has to justify raping their customers out of $50 a year somehow I suppose. :)

-Graphics are both the same, but here's the big difference. xbox 360 uses old peripherals for their software. They use a DVD9 disc, as opposed to the PS3's blu-ray disc which can hold more data and because of this + hard drive installations, there's less loading time. Perfect example of this would be Final Fantasy 13. Required 2 discs on Xbox 360, yet a single blu ray disc for PS3 :) Swapping discs vs no swapping? PS3 wins that battle. :)

PS3's online is free and just as good, the differences between the two are so trivial and small, i just can't see justifying a membership for an online service that is free elsewhere. Even on the wii even thought he wii's online is s**t, it's still free compared to the 360's. :)

Now I know $50/yr isn't exactly a lot of money for the service, but factor in a netflix subscription and the simple fact that hey, that's $50 that could go towards another game. :)

People who sit online and say "Xbox 360 is the best console, ever!" are either blind or have their mommy and daddy pay for the repairs of the console. Either way, not the point i'm trying to make here. It's kinda sad to argue that your console is better then the competing one. The thing is, yes the xbox 360 may be the best console, for YOU. It may not be the best console for someone else. :) That's what a lot of people fail to realize and thus the whole fanboy bickering starts.

Example, the PS3 is the best console for ME. Seeing as how I've grown up with sony consoles in my household, I've seen absolutely no reason to switch as every one I've ever owned still works to this day and hasn't had to been replaced, ever.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, someone may have had a bad experience with the PS3 and have had a better experience with the 360. To sit there and bash Sony's network shows that people are childish and never actually had any experience with working with networking and how hard and frustrating it actually is. :) (Running your own server for a game proves this :p)

Bottom line: if it works for you, great, enjoy the console YOU chose, don't bash others for their decision or put down the other's network in question because you think your console is superior, because the matter of it is, it's not. The PS3 and 360 can actually be compared to two consoles from last gen, the dreamcast (360) and the PS2 (PS3 obviously), the difference was that the DC came first, so the hardware in it wasn't nearly as good as the PS2's hardware, it was missing a DVD player when the PS2 had one, thus the DC died for this reason, graphical wise, they're nearly identical though. Which is what the PS3 and 360 is.The only difference this gen is that the 360 hasn't died like the DC did.

9. Ikram45

Ikram45 Getting There

What's with this routine maintainance? I have been noticing that PSN has been offline several times now.