1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Webmaster Pointless Posters

Shortie861 Aug 29, 2011

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

What are your thoughts on people whom pointless post on a forum?

Do you feel members whom pointless post bring some bad reputation to a forum?

2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

Define "Pointless Post" :)

3. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

.....well ...there are those that say 99.9% of my posts! ..... :tard:

4. TheHaze

TheHaze Shy Chatter

Basically anyone who just replies in the form of "Haha, cool" or "Kl share" or something similar. They are stupidly annoying, go find a spam forum to post that kind of stuff. Some people only want half-intelligent discussion!

5. Beverly

Beverly Getting There

Yeah, i hate that too! But i don't get any of that on my own forum and i don't know why. It's like people can't be bothered to be useless around me. :nyahnyah:

But my biggest complaint are the link builders (the ones who come by to build the account and then sell). They copy/paste junk from other sites like wiki and then leave their links. And, they think i will leave that mess up on my forum? Uh... no!

Though i don't delete but i do go back and edit the post to make it usable, like adding a question, etc.

That's my prerogative as a forum owner, to provide useful substantive content to my community.

6. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

Yes!

Most of 'em aren't even real humans - just bots posting automated posts.

I delete it and ban the person.
      I don't even edit the post to make it into a decent thread. That's a waste of my time.
      If I wanted to ask a question, I wouldn't ask it through a spammer, just to increase the number of discussions in a forum.

7. Beverly

Beverly Getting There

Actually some of the link builders are real people and i know them from other sites and they introduce themselves off forum to let me know what they are doing. On the other hand, the bots as you say, are worthless and don't produce anything of value. But if a person is coming by to build a forum account so they can get links back and does take the time to add value, then i will probably leave their posts up, if it's a good posts. I won't just arbitrarily delete. Just depends on my mood and how good of a job they have done. Many people come to my forum cause they know our PR is good and we have do follow links. I don't want to discourage that, unless they are putting up bad posts or they are linking to something wrong. If they do a good job, i have no gripes.

8. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

I'm talking about the ones that spam and make pointless posts. ( this thread is about that topic.. )

9. Beverly

Beverly Getting There

er... yeah! Duh! LOL!

Link builders (whether spam or human) often make pointless posts. They copy from Wiki in order to pad their post total and then sell the account to a third party who installs links in the signature line that point to various sites.

Sometimes, these link builders actually do a good job of providing valuable content, assuming they are real humans.

Other times, they don't. And, then it's just SPAM (as in useless)

When they don't, i would qualify that as A POINTLESS POST!

And, yeah, that IS what this thread is about, pointless posts that add nothing to the community. Kinda thought we were all talking about variations and incarnations of the same thing.

LOL! :nyahnyah:

10. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

pointless posts would be: spammy and attempting to troll and etc. XDD So of course it does bring bad reputation to a forum, XD

11. Wipeout Star

Wipeout Star New Chatter

To be honest if the member is a regular poster saying I'll Share or Stuff doesn't matter. But if they delibratley page widen or spam, it's bad

12. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

yep thats right. XDD You mean by their signatures yes?

13. etc

etc New Chatter

I usually remind them not to make unnecessary comments and point to that particular posts. Being an Admin really is tiring so be patient and until you don't get a 'willing to help volunteers' to clean their mess, forgive them.

14. Hotspot

Hotspot Quiet Chatter

I think it can be a little crazy, it's like "Why bother to post in the first place?". My thing is when someone joins and NEVER makes a post EVER!! That drives me nuts, that I made a new rule on my new forum that if you don't make at least one post in 6 months... than you get deleted. As there is no point if you join and never post; you could join and make one post and disappear forever, I have no problem with that... but if you join and don't make any posts... then you're history if you don't make one.
      It just clutters the forum and makes the forum look more popular than it is.

15. big lin

big lin Shy Chatter

I think it's often difficult. Sometimes people don't speak English very well; sometimes there's genuine confusion about what's being said; and sometimes people just aren't very verbally fluent.

IMO you have to just let things roll along; for every twitterer there's an encyclopaedia writer out there!

16. VirusZero

VirusZero New Chatter

I define a pointless message is one that when someone posts a message that doesn't add anything to the conversation. (Naturally length can vary. I mean someone could post a 500 word reply that has nothing to do with the topic and I'd still class that as useless too. Though for that case I might split that post off and turn it into it's own topic if that post is worth discussing. Though most often I've found that more useless posts are on the short side.)
      Like if someone replies to a topic: "I like that too" or "Sorry, I don't like that". While it's great they've replied (and maybe bumped a topic to the top too), they haven't really added any discussion to that topic. They haven't told us why they like it or why they don't. There's very little room in those short posts to have a legitimate discussion. For example, if I'm looking for critique on my art or something the like/dislike factor is, by and large, irrelevant to me and what I want to know is what is good and what needs work and how to improve. Sure I could ask them to elaborate, but it doesn't change the fact that their previous post hasn't really added anything new or worthwhile.

17. big lin

big lin Shy Chatter

I know what you mean but in my experience some people find it harder to express themselves than others (especially if they're writing in what to them is a foreign language) and it sometimes takes time to find out if they're generally vague and rambling or are just having difficulties with particular aspects of a post or the particular way in which a poster expresses themselves.

18. wendy

wendy Quiet Chatter

one word answers annoy me, yes, no or something like that.
      Hardly seems worth it to me, especially from people i affiliate with, its a bit soul destroying when i go out of my way to make viable posts xxx

19. Kaynil

Kaynil Quiet Chatter

To be honest I am tired of trying to be tight on it. I don't like spam on the cynical side, like not spacing your words, posting many smilies, etc. Usually I will edit or delete accordingly.
      I have a sticky called Pointless and random, where I invite people to leave their no-sense, I also use it to separate spammy messages from other discussions. They keep their discussions and I keep the relevant threads clean, most people get into the loop soon and start using the sticky instead.

For bots I used to let them slide, they had fake signatures but post accordingly the thread. I would still check their posts in case they sneaked an url in a pixel transparent image or something sneaky like that.

20. Black Angel

Black Angel New Chatter

Ugh. I cannot stand this.

This was one of the reasons why I stopped doing post exchanges and board hops with one of those cliques that featured extremely older women. There were never any men or even younger people my age or teens on these forums, just the same few women, which was odd because on any given forum, even those catered to women and women's issues, you are bound to find men. Even if those men only joined to show support for either the women in their lives, or one guy joined who did so to show support to the woman who made the forum. Either way, you are bound to find a guy there.

I once accidently ended up on a post exchange with one of them and even though I was making legit posts on their forum, all this person did was posted sparkly images that they annoyingly called "snags" or "tags" or whatever.. I have an area dedicated to gfx and gfx discussion and all this person did was post their gfx in threads that called for discussion.

And the board hops were worse because it was like they all kept posting in the same few threads.. and often times with their glitter gfx, which, ironically enough were popular amongst this specific clique. Their forums had the same people, the same graphics, the same staff and the same content. It kind of reminded me of this certain clique that you always see on IF/ZB boards with the same behavior, but that clique had younger people, better skins and graphics, and legit content.

The younger clique just had a very stuck up, know-it-all attitude, which reminded me of high school when I first saw this 10 years ago, but is just pathetic when I see it today, and like with the older clique, joining the same forums run by the same people is incredibly boring and has an eerie Twilight Zone effect on users.. like where you join a forum and you aren't sure if it is a forum with different people and personalities or just one person with many duplicate accounts and way too much time on their hands.

Especially since they are usually apart of the same hivemind and also circle jerk each other in threads. You had allegedly different people with the same glittery graphics (with the same weird looking people, usually women and sometimes kids on it) and the same attitudes and opinions on everything.. something wasn't adding up at all.

I remember one person who had a forum that was pretty well off, it had the obnoxiously sparkly graphics from before, but it had loads of legit content, close that forum, and then start another, on the same host with the same empty content and graphics the other forums in that group did. You could always tell that you were on one of these forums because they had a thread where you had to "read and sign the rules" which is pointless, when you think about it, because you can take the fact that someone signed up, as an automatic agreement to follow the rules, sort of like how software companies do with their EULAs. They also had a ton of board for these graphics and they were practically empty.

Aside from that thread, they also had threads for every freaking topsite they were ever on, where people would post that the voted for the forum, every freaking day. Then you had the hello, good afternoon, goodnight, goodbye threads where people seriously posted in them every time they were on the forum, I thank God that these people weren't desperate enough to create separate threads for this, but I guess that would've been too obvious.

They also had a check in thread where they did just that, say that they were checking in, which is redundant, as it was shown by the fact that you posted in the "hello/goodbye/etc." thread which meant that, you were on the forum and posting, but nevertheless, you HAD to post everyday that you were checking in, or you'd be removed, even if you were posting your butt off in other areas.

On a few of their other forums, they had sections for people to leave messages for each other, nevermind the fact that most forums have this awesome, modern invention called "Private Messaging." It turned out that the paranoid admins had disabled the pm system, which lead them to come up with this genius idea instead, although I am sure that it was all about member safety and not in anyway related to the fact that, by forcing people to use a messages forum, that they would also be posting which would lead to increased stats for the forum itself.

Naw, it can't be.

They also spent the majority of the time in the intros area welcoming people who had either had already responded to the post created by the welcome bot and then moved on or just decided to post on the forum and lastly, their forum games area counted for the significant bulk, if not, an overwhelming majority of their activity.

As much as I like to be laid back rules wise on my forum, they are the sole reason why I had to expand upon the rules there and even expand upon my post exchange rules as well. My forum is an adult oriented forum, and so I figured that I might have some issues with teens if anything, but no, it turned out that most of my problems came from these older women. The teens were aces.

It was disappointing to me because, when I first saw their forums (overlooking the obnoxiously sparkly and 90's era clip art used to differentiate each area of the forum, skins featuring color combinations that should be considered a hate crime, or at the very least, attempted murder against peoples eyes) I was actually impressed that this small group of people, who barely advertised, (except for that one person I ended up on an exchange with and later found out that she was apart of this network) managed to get their network of forums up to some impressive stats.

And as someone who was struggling in that area, I really thought that being on an exchange with them would somehow help my forum, but it didn't, all it did was bring in loads of spam and otherwise empty, useless content. Which caused my legit members to complain to me about them as well. One of these ladies had the nerve to demand that I enable post counts in the very areas they were spamming, because all of the other forums she was on did so (which wasn't surprising since their forums were mostly spam.)

I had to explain to this person that the reason post counts are disabled in those areas, is because I didn't want people spamming in them as she and her friends were and that I have numerous other areas featuring any topic she could think of to post in. I told her that since it is a general forum, that the sky was the limit. It was as if these people went out of their way to spam and create otherwise useless content, and quite frankly, I never knew there were so many ways to do so.

So from now on, I do everything I can to avoid these forums if I can help it. I noticed that some of those threads are here as are the people, but at least this forum has a bit of content to it, and although I'm not crazy about Xenforo or the default skin, at least it is not insanely colorful or obnoxiously sparkly like these other forums were. Being on some of those forums seriously messed up my eyes in the same way that staring at a bright light or the sun would have the same effect.

Frog Jamas likes this.