1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

General Regarding People Who Claims To Be Learning English

sharon Oct 8, 2014

1. sharon

sharon New Chatter

I'm not sure how often you guys find this yourselves but as for me, from time to time I will have someone contact me wanting to be friends. I don't know if it's a Blackberry thing and how it's more popular outside of the US but I get these messages from time to time. At first I am nice and help them out but then they will want to video chat with me and I insist that I am not interested in chatting with someone via video unless they are people I know in person or for business purposes only. Then suddenly their English becomes terrible and they start not making sense at all.

Has anyone else experience something like this?

2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

Can't say I have.

3. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Never had anything like this happen to me no but it does sound quite weird. Usually people like this are people I would not trust and I like you will only video chat with people such as friends and family.

4. TiggyDoolittle

TiggyDoolittle Resident Weirdo

Sounds dodgy to me.

5. lludawg

lludawg New Chatter

Definitely sounds like some sort of spam thing. I wouldn't trust anything like this! It's not worth it.

There are so many online scams as well so be sure you know what you are licking on before you click it!

6. Maddie

Maddie Getting There

Very fishy. I don't even answer my phone unless I recognize the number that is calling. I do the same thing when I answer the door. I don't open it unless I know the person on the other side of it.

Shortie861 likes this.
    7. Shortie861

I am pretty much the same now as you, really dubious about answering to numbers I don't know or answering the door if I am not expecting someone because of there being so many scams.

8. Maddie

Maddie Getting There

Not only scams but you have to be careful about answering your door. I'm not trying to sound paranoid but if I don't know the person at the door then I'm not opening it 'cause you just don't know about people anymore.

Shortie861 likes this.
    9. Shortie861

That is very true. You get so many people nowadays who claim to be who they are not and some of which whom even claim to have ID which is probably fake to make them look like they are genuine. It was only last year on Bonfire Night that I had someone come to my door who claimed to be from a charity asking for details for me to make a payment, was eager to try and get into the house luckily for me I was wise to what he was trying to do and managed to fob him off but I agree you do have to be careful.