1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice
    • Dismiss Notice

Sexist Terms?

saintsinner Mar 26, 2012

1. saintsinner

saintsinner New Chatter

So I recently got into some trouble for using the word "mankind" instead of "humankind."

There are obvious sexist terms like saying someone "throws like a girl," but there are also hidden things that some consider sexist (for example: using "fireman" instead of "firefighter" or being called "Mrs." instead of "Ms.")

For women what do you consider sexist? For men what do you consider sexist?

Also can sexism be in the reverse or not, because give supposedly have the most power in many society.
    2. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

well its because man means the "male", in general, so yes its a wee bit sexist.
    3. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I can understand Fireman/Fire fighter because there are female fire fighters who you obviously can't call firemen.
      Mrs/Ms isn't sexist as they both refer to the female sex it's a woman's choice which she wishes to be known as.
    4. wiseguy

wiseguy Chataholic

i think its sexist how our utility costs are named after a man :giggle:
      Shortie861 likes this.
    5. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

Sure gets around that Bill :) everyone knows him.
      Shortie861 likes this.
    6. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I agree with you on the fireman term to be honest, I mean even kids TV shows use that phrase such as with Fireman Sam, they never really state firefighter in that and they do have a female firefighter. I will admit to always saying fire man when I hear of a fire or see a fire engine and never really think.