1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Should Royals Be Able To Freely Voice Their Opinions?

Shortie861 May 11, 2016

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Just watching Sky News and they are going on about something the Queen said which was caught on microphone which has sparked a debate as to whether Royals should be able to freely voice their opinions.

You can see the video below

Video

Do you think the Royal Family should be able to freely voice their opinions?

2. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

I think it is fairly well known that the Queen privately holds some quite strong opinions but tries to maintain a neutral stance in public. As a Royalist, I think the Queen does a fantastic job, not just for Britain but also for the World at large and this happening is the last thing she would have wanted.
      It is becoming quite a regular thing for public figures to be caught on an "open mike", Prince Philip is well known for his gaffes.
      Perhaps the question should be - should "open mike" remarks be published in the media when there might be an adverse effect on foreign relations ?

Shortie861 likes this.
    3. MamaFrankie

MamaFrankie Quiet Chatter

There should be no Royals at all but since you ask, the answer is yes because they are only human after all.

Shortie861 likes this.
    4. Sappilicious

Sappilicious New Chatter

The truth always hurts and I have been hurt from honesty but I love good honesty not the insults. :(

5. Gelatine

Gelatine New Chatter

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, so that includes royals. However exactly because of their influential status, these people should mind how they express that opinion.
      If what they have to say is relevant to their activities (charity, administration, diplomacy, etc) then I'd listen in an contemplate what they said, but if it's something they've never touched before, their opinion is less useful in my ears.

Shortie861 likes this.
    6. MamaFrankie

MamaFrankie Quiet Chatter

The thing is, though, the Royals are out of touch and don't live in the real world, so would their opinions be valid?

7. KyngzIndeyen

KyngzIndeyen Regular Chatter

They should be free to voice any opinions that do not conflict with their official roles and duties (for example, the Queen's requirement that she remains politically neutral as a constitutional monarch).

However, that shouldn't prevent her from expressing opinions on things such as whether that cake that Nadiya Hussain baked for her tasted nice!

8. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

The Queen already has regular meetings with the Prime Minister where I am sure she is able to privately express her opinion to the person who most matters.

As a royalist, I am of the opinion the Queen should be able to express her opinion on a topic publicly and it should the be up to the Government to give a good reason if they dispute it.

After all it is Her country.

Shortie861 likes this.