1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

Should stores open on Boxing Day?

Shortie861 Nov 15, 2016

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Christmas is a time for families to spend time together.

I have just seen a petition show up on my Facebook news feed calling for the government to discuss whether or not stores should open or close on Boxing Day.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/168524

What are your thoughts? Do you feel stores should stay closed for Boxing Day?

2. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

There are a few people who for one reason or another enjoy working over the Christmas period.
      Some people like hospital staff or the emergency services are expected to as part of their duty.

But I'm pretty sure that shop assistants, if not forced, are certainly made to know it's expected of them, even though few shops provide what may be called a vital service, just a convenience.

3. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

I say as long as your job isn't required to help others (hospitals, police, ect.) then you should have thanksgiving, Christmas off with early off on Christmas eve, new years and Easter.

Shortie861 likes this.
    4. Jane

Jane Quiet Chatter

My son and daughter both work in retail. My daughter is not working boxing day because the shop is closed, but my son is. When I was nursing I always world Christmas day morning. My dad, being a police officer worked over Christmas as well.