1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

Should We Destroy Our Last Living Samples Of Viruses?

sapett Jul 4, 2015

1. sapett

sapett New Chatter

This month the World Health Organization will meet to decide whether or not to destroy the last living strains of the variola virus, which causes smallpox. Since the WHO declared the disease eradicated in 1979, the scientific community has debated whether or not to destroy live virus samples, which have been consolidated to laboratories in Russia and at the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta. Small frozen test tubes preserve the surviving strains, and most were collected around the time of eradication, though some date to the early 1930s.

Do you think the remaining strains of viruses like variola should be destroyed or preserved?

I personally believe the live samples should be kept for future generations. New technology and breakthroughs will allow researchers to answer unanswered questions about viruses, test better vaccines, diagnostics, and drugs. However, I feel these samples need to be controlled and that the viruses should not be reproduced.
    2. jnugget

jnugget Regular Chatter

bad idea in my opinion as no one knows if some mad head in a lab somewhere will create a mutated strain and those samples will be key to creating a vaccine
      Kaynil likes this.
    3. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

Tuberculosis had at one time been eradicated in the UK, and now we have it back.
      I'm also of the opinion that samples for research should be kept, but definitely in the strictest conditions.
    4. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I agree, I believe they should be kept but under strict conditions. You never know when they could come in handy or be needed and if we get rid we have nothing to fall back on.
    5. KyngzIndeyen

KyngzIndeyen Getting There

Yeah, I think they should be kept under carefully-controlled conditions. It's still possible that we could learn something useful from them, perhaps to do with eradicating other diseases.
      Shortie861 likes this.
    6. Smokey

Smokey Shortie's Teddy Bear <3 Staff Member

They are needed to be kept but under strict conditions because without virus samples, we won't be able to make vaccines and such.
    7. Kaynil

Kaynil Quiet Chatter

We need them to get better cures and as someone else said, as technology advances tehre is even more we can learn from them. So long they are kept safe and it is a transparent thing the how and when are they being used, it should be fine.
      Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    8. Tornado

Tornado New Chatter

Keep them! You never know when they may be needed scientifically.