1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Sturgeon Says Scotland Could Veto Brexit.

Shortie861 Jun 26, 2016

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

So, it's being reported that Nicola Sturgeon could veto Brexit meaning Britain's exit from the EU may not happen if they are able to do it. I personally feel if she is able to do this and it does go ahead she will have a lot of problems on her hands.

Do you think Scotland will veto?

2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I personally don't think it will happen.

Shortie861 likes this.
    3. Shortie861

I feel as of right now she is trying to find any way she can to get around this because she doesn't like the idea of leaving the EU however by her doing so she may cause a lot of problems and it's problems that are not needed.

4. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

To my mind, given the way that the clear majority in Scotland voted Remain in the EU , the way to go is to give Scotland a new referendum to ask again if they want to stay with the UK or whether they want to stay with Europe.
      By the same token, the opinion of N. Ireland should also be canvassed.

Shortie861 likes this.
    5. Jane

Jane Quiet Chatter

I wish that stupid bloody Krankie woman would mind her own business. I dont know who she thinks she is sometimes.

Shortie861 likes this.
    6. Shortie861

Sounds to me like because the result was not what she wanted not she is finding any way she can to make it her way. If you ask me she is crazy.

7. Jane

Jane Quiet Chatter

Yep agree with that. Mad as a box of frogs she is. She isnt even an MP for Christs sake! Talk about being full of your own self importance. Bloody woman.grrr.

Shortie861 likes this.
    8. KyngzIndeyen

KyngzIndeyen Regular Chatter

If she's not even willing to negotiate, then I think she'll just get ignored. However, I think she is willing to negotiate - and even though she might not be able to keep the UK in the EU, she may at least be able to help to keep the UK in the European Economic Area. Which is what most of the politicians want anyway - but among the public, it would leave both sides unhappy. Those who voted Remain wouldn't like the loss of representation in the EU parliament (and loss of influence over EU rules and regulations) - while those who voted Leave would feel conned because none of the things they cared about would actually change. Leaving the EU, but staying in the EEA, would mean continuing to pay membership fees (although they'd probably be somewhat lower than the EU membership fees); continuing to follow EU laws (with certain exceptions for things like fishing); and - perhaps of most annoyance to Brexit supporters - continuing to allow free movement of peoples between the UK and EU member states. International businesses would like it, because nothing important would change from their perspective - but just because it benefits international businesses doesn't mean it benefits us.

9. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

The gloom merchants have raised their heads again today - looking at one set of figures and wailing that we're going into recession.
      If some of these so-called experts keep rubbishing the economy then they will cause a downturn.

From what I've seen of her so far, Mrs May understands full well that the Brexit vote was very much about the peoples concern of the control of our borders and one hopes she will keep that a priority in negotiations.

Jane likes this.
    10. KyngzIndeyen

Actually, a poll here suggests that immigration was only the second-most important why people voted to leave. 53% of Leave voters said the most important factor in their decision was the ability for Britain to make its own laws, compared to 34% who said the most important factor was immigration:
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brexit-opinion-poll-reveals-majority-8283139

These are both valid reasons to want to leave the EU - but, as I said in my previous post, they only make sense if we also leave the single market (i.e. a 'hard Brexit'). If we stay in the single market (i.e. a 'soft Brexit'), we'll still have to follow most of the EU's laws (which we'll no longer have any influence over), and we're unlikely to get much more control over our borders than we have now.

So, only a 'hard Brexit' will give Brexit supporters any of the things they actually care about. Unfortunately, I can't see how it will happen, because most businesses don't want it, most MPs don't want it, and we won't get a second referendum to determine which kind of Brexit we'll have.

(It shouldn't surprise you to hear that 'soft Brexit' is my personal least favourite of the three options, because it just seems like the worst of both worlds. I feel as though we should be either all in or all out!)

Jane likes this.
    11. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

I also think we should stand firm even if that implies a hard exit. Somehow I reckon the Germans will still want to sell us cars and the Danish their bacon.

India is just one place where we should be looking for trade deals. With our historic links (not all of which are unhappy) and as we already have quite a large Indian ethnic community here, there is already much goodwill.
      And India's population, that is the potential market, is over twice that of the whole EU.

12. Jane

Jane Quiet Chatter

Yep you both make excellent points. Mine were: Controlong our borders and our laws. Sick of damn Brussels being able to overide our laws. Sick of not being able to deport people because the damn EU doesnt like it. Tough!
      Also our fishing industry. Oh and another thing.....good old blue British passports again!

13. KyngzIndeyen

All very true - and, to add to this, India has a lot of potential for growth. Many of its people are, unfortunately, still living in poverty - but as their economic status improves, they'll be able to afford more and more of our products.

India's already the 7th-largest economy in the world (behind the USA, China, Japan, Germany, the UK, and France) - and I fully expect it to continue climbing from there.