1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Swearing?

Naiwen Oct 11, 2013

1. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Swearing anywhere... at school, at somebody/something even or... on a forum or wherever else...? I try not to swear at all (offline/online), but when I'm upset about something, it's really hard. It's hard for you not to swear?

2. MsPJ

MsPJ Ms Biscuit

Yes i swear & i think everyone has....

3. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

People been swearing since time began, it's natures way of allowing us to let off some un needed personal pressures. Good for the blood pressure to let off steam, long as you know when to turn it off. I haven't been able to do that since this kenyan imposter was elected. Most people automatically assume you have to be a Republican to hate this kenyan, not so, I hate him for what he is and I'm not a Republican. I have to force myself to not shout out when this guy is on TV mouthing like Hitler once did. He has completely taken over national TV since he was elected, for some reason he feels he is a god or something, all we want is for him to stroke early in life and get on with it. 1 third of the country actually likes him and that's because they all get free stuff from the other 2/3rds. People like him are why there is such a thing as swearing...... :mad:

4. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

I wish swearing was view more of a way to say your just mad. I use swearing to express my anger at something but never in a very bad way.

5. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I swear but usually it's only if I am angry or frustrated with something, never swear just for the sake of it.

6. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

I take it you swear a lot at video games? :p

7. Shortie861

Haha, yes I can swear quite a bit at video games, not as much as some do though. I have a friend who I used to game with a lot but now only game with every so often who was very shocked when he first heard me swear on Xbox Live :) doesn't bother him as much any more now though lol

8. jnugget

jnugget Regular Chatter

i think most people swear socialy too i know i do but i try not too. but when i get mad i cant help myself its like f this f that ect ect

9. Spice

Spice Chat Addict

Used to swear, but things change.

10. NecroWolf

NecroWolf Shy Chatter

Did you all know that Native Americans did not have swear words? In fact they thought the idea of a word being bad or good was ridiculous. I tend to agree as I noticed a lot of words drop in and out of the bad word classification. Whose to say a word is bad or good? It's just a word. Is there any real reason to label a word as such?

In fact, swear words do not bother me. It's mean things people say that I think should be much much worse. I can say all kinds of bad things to you and never use a swear word once.

MsPJ likes this.
    11. deepdoop

deepdoop New Chatter

Sorry for my thread necromancy, but yeah I think it's silly to give power to words like f**k, s**t, etc. They're just words. I swear, but I have respect enough not to swear around kids or people that hate it (generally).

My main problem is that over the years I've run into people who think that if you swear you aren't intelligent. I don't think I'm a genius or even that smart by any means, but I've always incorporated swearing into my regular speech in some shape or form. I don't really think it says anything about your intelligence if you're talking bad about a politician and say, "That guy is a fucktard" instead of, "I don't really like him."

Now, with that said, there are plenty of people that swear too much. Some younger people swear because it's "cool," and I get that young urge to do that. I probably did that in my younger years. It's disgusting when it's every second word because there isn't any substance there. It CAN be representative of someone who doesn't know a whole lot (though nobody is stupid), but it isn't by default.

I hope I added something worthwhile to the conversation, at least to justify me bringing back an old thread.

Shortie861 and NecroWolf like this.
    12. Shortie861

Oh I have come across so many people who seem to think that if they swear with every other word it makes them look hard. I am not one to be the little miss goody two shoes as I swear on some occasions I mind where I swear and who I swear around and tend to keep my swearing to a minimal at least unless I am having a rant then I can really push out some harsh words :)

I don't see swearing as you as a person not being intelligent, heck I have seen people who you wouldn't think would swear, swear more than I do so I know it does not reflect on your intelligence. I always see it as a way to vent out anger most of the time, for example when you step on a plug that is face up or a small toy! :giggle:

jnugget likes this.
    13. jnugget

jnugget Regular Chatter

lol reminds me of me when im having a bi polor episode swearing after everything word f this f that sort of this but like 10 f words in 1 sentence (innocent look)

Shortie861 likes this.
    14. Ich Bin Butler

Ich Bin Butler New Chatter

I wouldn't try to turn curse words into a moral issue. They're another way to communicate, but it's all about context. Unless small children or innocent old folks are around, or if you are in a professional setting, go for it. People who try to censor themselves tend to sound kind of goofy.

Shortie861 likes this.