1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

The Dreaded Hard Drive Failure

HAL WARD Sep 4, 2014

1. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

Haven't had one now for 10 years until Saturday, I think I might come out alright since it still post and boots and everything is accessible, this is one of those smart drive warnings that tell you there are sectors that are hard to read. I moved a few things I wanted to have backed up and just shut it down until I can get another drive at the first of coming week. I'm really hoping once I clone everything and get the new drive up I will be able to run the DOS utility and I have a 50/50 chance it will repair it then I will just use it for storage. I had 650 gigs unused, what rotten luck. I cheaped out and just ordered a refurbished one same as the one that failed, I don't mind taking a chance since I've had good luck with that returned stuff. Most of the time it isn't anything wrong when people return an item, they just didn't want it or didn't know how to install it. I figure if it last a year or two I got what I paid for.
    2. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Haven't had a hard drive failure for a while myself either, it's great that you managed to go 10 years without a problem. I usually find that refurbished ones work just as well as brand news ones so hopefully this one lasts you a while :)
      HAL WARD likes this.
    3. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I've been lucky and never had a HDD go on me.
      HAL WARD likes this.
    4. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

I did some reading on the subject since this is one of those smart drive features, had it been turned off I wouldn't know there was a problem until it was too late. However I read that sometimes you can be using a USB stick or another drive such as an external and say you might turn it off for what ever reason, the system will sometimes fail to log off that drive and the hard to read sectors appears, in other words there was a false positive . I'm guilty of just unplugging my external drives if they balk and don't want to turn off when I use the shortcut on the taskbar. I'm not sure if that might have been the problem or not, I did run the seagate tools and let it scan twice and it appears to be scanning the c drive and almost completes then gives the test failed. So at that point I thought it best to just shut it down before I lose the ability to boot up again. I will just clone it and be done with it, I have a DOS utility I downloaded from seagate and they say it will work when the installed version won't , or it can repair those bad places and make the drive good again. So I will burn that image to a disc and give it a shot after I move things over to the other drive. Apparently the best software is Spinrite and it has the ability to repair when other software fails. The first thing is to do a disc check and eliminate any mechanical failures, if there are no mechanical failures then the disc should be able to repair and used again. We'll see, I would love to use that disc in this machine since I have very little space here. Drives are very cheap now, I'm like everyone else and never have the money ;0(