1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on homework nowadays?

Shortie861 Oct 5, 2016

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Having children at school myself now I am noticing more and more that they tend to get given a lot of homework to do each week. I remember when I was in school homework didn't start until after I got into senior school (high school) and then it wasn't half as much as is given now. Sometimes I have difficulty getting my children to complete their homework because when they get home from school they want to relax and have some time doing what they enjoy.

What are your thoughts on homework nowadays? Is it too much?

2. TiggyDoolittle

TiggyDoolittle Resident Weirdo

It's very different to what I remeber.

We used to get words home and had to copy them out a few times. Then write a sentence for each one as well as looking up meaning for each word.

Hated maths lol *still do*

Shortie861 likes this.
    3. Entmtone

Entmtone New Chatter

Yes I agree with you 100% Shortie. Kids are given way too much homework these days. When a child leaves school, they shouldn't be burdened with more work to do, they just did that for the last 8-9 hours. When most of us get home from work do we do more work? lol no we don't. And I don't think kids should either.

Shortie861 likes this.
    4. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I hated maths too. I found I never really understood it myself until I got into college and then a teacher explained it in a way it just clicked. Sometimes I feel that is why maths is so stressful because of how it is explained.

I agree, we don't we get to come home and relax after work which is what I feel the kids should be able to do. Spellings is fine and also reading to keep their minds active but over powering them with homework just doesn't help them mentally I feel.

5. TiggyDoolittle

TiggyDoolittle Resident Weirdo

Alyssa's class topic atm is WW2. She has until the end of teh month to make a model Anderson shelter big enough for a lego man to fit inside.