1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

To Apologize

Naiwen Jun 28, 2013

1. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Lol.. I got into a little skirmish with a British guy and I tested his patience for fun... but I seem to have gone too far, he seemed really hurt. So to make amends with him, should I apologize first or not? He seemed to care about me very much, so I'm afraid I've truly hurt him. I just said "Quebec belonged to France"? Was it too much for him to hear? Should say sorry for this?
    2. Grungie

Grungie Raging Alcoholic

I like being offensive, it's fun sometimes, but there's a right time and place to be offensive.

It's easy to insult a British person, just hand them my dentist's card.
      Kaynil likes this.
    3. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Yep indeed... Grungiekins... Why are they so sensible and so touchy?
    4. Pats CG

Pats CG Quiet Chatter

:angel: Hello Naiwen,
      If you like this person, then apologise, maybe you could talk further or - change the subject ...
    5. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

Why do you have a dentist card ?
    6. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

Canada has long been an independent country and is thousands of miles away, so Quebec is not really a big issue for the average Brit.
      What probably more upset the guy is that you were teasing him. If you want to, saying sorry would probably help - but if he still likes you, even to just start talking pleasantly about some other subject might do the trick.
    7. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

What I did, he kept on going about this. I changed the topic and everything, but he'd still continue on this, which is weird and funny to me.
    8. Kaynil

Kaynil Quiet Chatter

I get the feeling that there is more to this than what you said. Either the situation surrounding it or this being the last straw in a series of things.

If you are not sure what he is hurt about talk to him about the topic; if you know exactly what it was and you care (which you said previously you do) then yes, I think it is best you apologize.

Changing the subject can be rude as you come across as minimizing or invalidating his feelings. Even if for you it is not a big deal it is a good idea to give it some closure by talking about it with your friend to make amends.
    9. Grungie

Grungie Raging Alcoholic

Because it's a business card from my dentist?