1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Social Networking Using Facebook To Communicate

Shortie861 Jul 14, 2011

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

So I think I may have my ranting head on today to be honest because I woke up this morning, saw a status update and thought "Wow, I guess technology really is affecting some people"

So anyway my question is do you feel that social networking sites ate affecting some people in the way they communicate with others?

Reason for me asking is I woke up this morning and my usual thing to do while waking up is check my phone on facebook, so anyway I checked and there was this status update from someone basically telling the whole of his facebook friends something he should have been telling the person it was aimed at away from facebook, it's like in a way as if your trying to make a point or trying to make yourself believe it by letting others know. I though places like facebook and myspace where for sharing things that where meant to be shared and keeping things like relationships in messages or face to face or over text or phone.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel that maybe people do it to prove a point? To make themselves believe it's true?

What do you feel the status update option on social networking sites should mainly be used for?

2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I think there are some people who use it far too much for private issues,things that they should not be telling everyone.I have a person in my friends list who gives out way too much info about private matters.
      Use it for general statements about things it doesn't matter if other people know.

3. Shortie861

Yeah I agree, I feel for things such as announcements of weddings, pregnancies, promotions at work, milestones your children have reached, telling people about the things your up to etc is far enough but when it comes to discussing an issue you are having in a relationship, telling someone how you feel over your status when you can go and tell them when they are in another room is just too far. Some things are for posting and some should be kept between you and the person it involves.

As the saying goes "Relationships should be between 2 people not the whole world" why involve your friends list in a relationship?

4. zararina

zararina Chat Addict

I could agree that some uses this status updates just to brag on things and situations they do have at the moment. Also to show how they hate or love something or someone which i also think that its way too far.
      I like to see quotes or inspirational thoughts on statuses.

5. Shortie861

Yes that is one thing I do like to see :) quotes and things that may show someones thoughts on things :) but yes I agree with you some things should be kept between the people they are meant for and not for everyone to see.

6. coipal

coipal New Chatter

My day is not complete without having opened my Facebook. It connects me to my long lost friends, relatives and classmates. Though sometimes I try to share my experiences and thoughts to them, I also make sure that I don't exceed. It's just like some are using Facebook to gripe out their ill feelings and even hurting others without realizing it. I even see people quarreling about some issues. Whatever, it is always important to respect everyone for their opinion whether it be right or wrong...

7. Cecil15

Cecil15 I am Me...

Well, I think personal issues should be kept private. It's like shouting out your problem to the world when you posted it on your wall. I, too, don't see the point of doing it. Maybe it's a sign of immaturity.

8. EllieMae

EllieMae New Chatter

I think most of what is shared on facebook should be kept private. One example is having your husband as your facebook friend and then posting, "My husband is lazy and is a bad father." The husband sees this and then replies and then there is a thread of posts between these 2 people that the general public should not be seeing. The original poster actually portrays herself in a bad light for staying with the 'lazy bad father.'

9. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

Could'nt agree more,I just dont want to see everyone elses personal problems.
      This is why I like Google+ it has far more privacy.By using the circles you control who can see what :)

10. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

I don`t use it much but I agree some people put things that should be kept private and to them self
      I think the last time I used it was to wish every one a happy new year