1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Webmaster What do you look for when choosing a new webhost?

benjaminp Jul 22, 2012

1. benjaminp

benjaminp Quiet Chatter

When you decide it's time for a move, what do you look for in your new host?

Here's my personal checklist:

Suitable for your needs? - Hosts promise the world (unlimited everything), but it's important to be realistic with your hosting requirements. If you're wanting to run a high traffic blog/forum on a $1 a month hosting plan, it's definitely time for a re-think.

Reviews (webhostingtalk is a great place to find reviews)

Check the Acceptable Use Policy - This is pretty important! Make sure the website you're planning on hoping doesn't break the hosts acceptable use policy.

How long have they been in business? - Becoming a "web host" is easier than ever. I wouldn't trust my websites or data with a new host. Webhosting is a hard market to get in to and over the years I've seen many new fly-by hosts that have left customers high and dry with no backups (though you should be taking your own of course).

Ticket response times/Support - Hopefully you'll never need support, but it's nice to know that if you do, you'll get an answer. You can check this by sending off a ticket in their support system and just waiting for a response.

Feel free to add anything else you think is important, this is just off the top of my head :)