1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

Webmaster When is there too many staff?

Shortie861 Aug 26, 2011

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

When do you feel there is too many staff members on a forum?
    2. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

I know one forum that had 4 admins 3 mods and only 20 members to me thats way to many
      DarkGizmo likes this.
    3. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Wow, yes that is too many especially for a forum that is quite small still. I myself feel it depends on the forum itself if it is fairly quiet then 1 admin and 2 mods is enough and add on as you get busier and as is needed
    4. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I believe several scenarios can determine the number of staff.
      1) Number of members.
      2) How many overseas members,If large percentage then I believe there should be an overseas staff member so in theory someone is watching 24/7.This also catches spammers quicker Although I must admit not many get past me :D.
      Kaynil likes this.
    5. nolvorite

nolvorite New Chatter

when theyre the only active members.
      Kaynil likes this.
    6. Beverly

Beverly Getting There

LOL! That's awesome!

But nothing compared to another forum where the owner turned EVERY member into a staffer almost from the second they joined.

There were no real members and she already had 2 admins plus herself and then fired one admin, added another and even a moderator for a special subforum.

Now keep in mind there are no real members outside the members coming by from Postloop and that only happened this past week. So basically for two months, it's just been staffers posting.
    7. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

i mean, 3 admins for a forum of: 50 members.
    8. Ghost Smoke

Ghost Smoke Like A Boss

There are to many staff members when you have more staff online than members. Also, there is to many staff members when 1/4 of your members are staff. I had to many administrators on my forum in the beginning just because I needed a little help getting it started. I'm now the only admin and I have 3 moderators(which I guess that's a bit many.) I'm a man of my word so when I tell someone they can be staff before the creation of my forum they will be staff until they become inactive. For Chat-Addicts I'd say the ratio of staff/members is very good, you might actually need another moderator or two for the way the forum is starting to grow larger. Eventually you will need another administrator with less tasks than you(Nikki.) That's my thoughts on staff, if you put a forum with way to many staff in my face on the computer I could point out more ways to show you that they have to many staff.
    9. AreYaSerious?

AreYaSerious? New Chatter

Depends really what you use the staff for. Some staff does one thing while the others do another thing. For example one admin can run the site and deal with the servers, while another can worry about the site. One moderator can be used to help members with problems while another moderates a board. I hope this made sense :)
      Kaynil likes this.
    10. HawkPokemon

HawkPokemon Guest

I have had to many but never to many "active
    11. ashimashi

ashimashi New Chatter

When there is no one but your staff posting. It usually depends on the forum and how you feel about having staff but it can depend on situation.
    12. Smokey

Smokey Shortie's Teddy Bear <3 Staff Member

Depends on forum size, activity and how many forums are actually on your board. If you have close to 40 forums on your board then you'd generally need a few extra global mods, maybe an additional admin and a few individual forum mods, especially if you have 500+ members.......all depends on different things....

I've seen a forum recently that had literally 45 members and they had 7 admins and 4 moderators.....that was a bit overkill......
    13. Ikram45

Ikram45 Getting There

When there are actually more staff than members. There should also be active users on your forums who are not staff.
      DarkGizmo likes this.
    14. Kaynil

Kaynil Quiet Chatter

I remember someone shred a different light on me with her opinion that maybe it is not such a bad idea to have more staff than needed, it is important you can have a way to provide means to cover up in unexpected absence situations.

Anyway, I think it is really up to the owner of the community, only them can know what needs to be done and how to organize it better. I remember in years past, the usual was to have many moderators as they usually just focussed a few areas each.

I agree though that it can be intimidating if the active people is all staff, but I guess it also will depend on how the staff treat you for how long will that feeling remain in you.
    15. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Its "shed a different light", Kaynil. But yeah, I kinda am with ya on this one.
    16. ozzie

ozzie New Chatter

If the only people actively posting are staff, you have too many.

Specifically, if it works, I think 2 admins, a global mod, and 2 regular mods is a good amount.
    17. wendy

wendy Quiet Chatter

i have no working moderaters at the moment and i have 72 members, that said its been pretty quiet of late so ive been working like a goodun to make things better and more accessible, adding more forums and topics ect.
      However should it pick up again il be looking for two moderators to replace the ones im meant to have but who dont do their job xxx
    18. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

What the big deal here or there eh or the big hype yo?
    19. Marti

Marti Super Moderator Staff Member

on my board there is only 3 co-owners and that it
    20. Ashley

Ashley Shy Chatter

I always felt it depended on the Niche, really. For example, a site like this or mine, you would only need one admin and one moderator. The only reason I have a second admin is because he's willing to learn phpBB himself and I don't know phpBB to save my life, so that's why I have him on board... he's sort of a tech admin and he does quite well.
      Shortie861 likes this.