1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Webmaster Why did you want to make your forum?

Dirty Harold May 2, 2012

1. Dirty Harold

Dirty Harold Bringin' Secsy Back

What was your reason that you created your forum/first forum? When, what was it about, software, details? I made my first forum back in 2007 using phpBB 2 on ForumCircle network. It was about video games and console hacking/modifications. It was inactive for quite some time and was deleted. One of the main reasons I made it, at the time, was because I was very power-hungry. I wanted to rule a community and be a leader. I also really liked gaming and wanted to spread my interest. This is no longer the case, but I was pretty young at the time. You?

2. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I myself made my first forum in 2007 and it was a general chat forum like this one :). I remember back in around 2005 I was on a forum and I voiced my opinion like everyone should have the right to do, it wasn't anything rude or abusive and the staff didn't like it and chose to ban me for voicing an opinion but with it they also tried to drag my name through the muck aswell.

I eventually took a few years away from forums and then decided to come back and create my own forum where opinions and freedom of speech would welcomed and I also created the forum for people of the internet to meet new friends and chat :) I ran that forum on vBulletin.

The reason I created this forum was purely for the same reason, I kind of regretted letting my other forum go when I did as it was doing really well and I had tried numerous times to bring back a general chat forum which didn't go to well until now :)

Ashley likes this.
    3. wiseguy

wiseguy Chataholic

i made mine because the forums i was on were what i call over moderated,which i hate :chicken::giggle:
      as shortie and aps know there is hardley any moderating on mine,and ive only ever banned 2 people both for picking on another member directly which cannot be allowed on any forum
      but hey that might just be me

4. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

My first forum was a combined effort with a friend but we ended up with 4 admins.
      It ran for 7 years had over 2,500 members and 200,000+ posts.
      It was all about computers etc.
      Not sure what prompted us to start it really.

5. wiseguy

wiseguy Chataholic

more to the point why did it end ?

6. wendy

wendy Quiet Chatter

my first forum was a paranormal site , it was created on forumotions and it ran for two yrs before i bought a domain for it with dabs.com.
      It ran for another year or so and was really popular, but i just couldnt cope with the pressures of it after my son died in jan 2010 so i chose to let it go :( xxx

7. Marti

Marti Super Moderator Staff Member

i made my own forum to make new friends and to get old ones to come on and post

8. wendy

wendy Quiet Chatter

I created "It's All About You " after creating a blog to keep me sane after my son died.
      It felt great to be able to talk and share my interests so after a while i decided to create a free forum so i could do more with it but not have the added pressure of paying for domains and such and it gave me a chance to see if it would take off xxx

Shortie861 likes this.
    9. Pokemon

Pokemon Getting There

So I could have a place to talk about Pokemon under my own rules, settings, and ideas. I really didn't like the way things were run at most other Pokemon communities.

10. Ashley

Ashley Shy Chatter

Sounds like you and I share the same sentiments, as that's the reason I'd been trying to run forums as well. I started in 2008, shortly after I graduated high school, and my first host, of all places, was ForuMotion (I definitely do NOT recommend them!) Like you, I only stumbled upon two, probably three forums that were actually laid back and I was more than happy to call home, which is why I made my own forum and hence the reason Marie 1988 came about today. One of my second or third attempts was a similar forum in 2009, but it barely took off because I didn't know jack about owning a forum back then. I have a little more experience now and as such this particular Marie 1988 is loads better than my old one from 2009 was. We are only in our third month and we already have 34 members! I couldn't be more proud of that accomplishment if I tried! Hopefully we can keep going for a long time.

Shortie861 likes this.
    11. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Because of well, common interests & driven by passions & need for friendships!

Shortie861 likes this.
    12. Kaynil

Kaynil Quiet Chatter

I started mine for a couple of reasons.

I've been a forum frequenter and made close bonds with some people and grew attached to certain communities. As years went by some sites closed, my friends made refugees and I met new places. I learned not place lasts forever and I wanted to have a refugee ready to offer if things went bad with any the forums me and my friends frequented.

My first language is Spanish. I have great friends online and great friends I treat face to face, some of which were somewhat interested in Forums but shy due it not being in their native language. I also joined some spanish boards and started make friends there.

My main impulse then was my desire to have a hub where my friends could hang out at their own leisure. A same place for all the people important to me not matter if they spoke English or Spanish. That's what Roczuz is for. an English-Spanish two boards in one of general chat where no matter what you're into, you will fit with us.

I've had a wonderful trip and I have been in unofficial hiatus for almost a year now. My friends have moved on and while I have come to terms many of the people I met face to face will never truly be interested in interacting online and some of my online friends simply will never join my forums, therefore making my dream an unrealistic far-shot. It was a painful truth to realize I lost my motivation and direction. However Roczuz was a success on its own, it required not to fulfill my far fetched idea to become a hub of cool people hanging around and being nice with each other. I don't have the drive to start over in MyBB and I know people won't even consider my community for being in forumotion but I don't care we did excellent. Less than 100 members and more than 20 000 posts. If you browse around you'll find we made together our own little story.

I kind of want to restart again but I am already head-on with my spanish Zelda community, which is going wonders.

13. HAL WARD

HAL WARD Getting There

I find most people past 50 don't care much for forums, this is why you see so few older people posting, they simply don't care for it or have their time spent with normal activities like Kids and Grand Kids and family. Myself I was learning Linux about 8 years ago and at the same time was interested in learning the server administration side of the internet. I built several boards just for fun and no other reason, at the same time I was able to really use and understand how Linux could handle all the work with little or no hardware. It was lots of fun but having to move abruptly to this state as I did I found it necessary to leave behind a lot of equipment I had stockpiled. I doubt I will ever get interested again since it takes too much time as a hobby. I crest 65 in two months and you reach a point in life where you need to say everything you want to say, tomorrow may not allow enough time. I lost the enjoyment of managing a simple forum because it is not what I consider important, it was fun.

14. 3DWaffle1

3DWaffle1 New Chatter

I create my forum last year. I do know how or why I started. I just want to learn and run a forum.

15. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

I really didn't make it but rather took it over, but I keep it going because I like running it :)

16. wendy

wendy Quiet Chatter

I created THE TWILIGHT HOUR to get me back into my first love forums of the Paranormal, I closed my last Paranormal website after my son passed away but its been almost 4 years now and im ready to get back in the saddle.
      We are not quite a month old and have very few members at the moment , but we are growing as a forum with plenty of interesting topics, so if you enjoy paranormal related topics please feel free to check us out.
      We are very friendly and open minded. xxx

Shortie861 likes this.
    17. NecroWolf

NecroWolf Shy Chatter

I just created a forum so most things I find interesting will be in one place and easier for me to find. I post a lot of hard to find stuff on there in various topics for me to find later on.

18. Marti

Marti Super Moderator Staff Member

good luck

19. TiggyDoolittle

TiggyDoolittle Resident Weirdo

I made my first in 2005 it was a family/parenting forum. I had not long had my my first baby and was already member of a couple of forums and had noticed a few of the others were making their own forum so erm Monkey see Monkey do.

20. TiggyDoolittle

TiggyDoolittle Resident Weirdo

I made my first in 2005 it was a family/parenting forum. I had not long had my my first baby and was already member of a couple of forums and had noticed a few of the others were making their own forum so erm Monkey see Monkey do.

Shortie861 likes this.