1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!
    • Dismiss Notice

General Why do people create forums?

Shortie861 Sep 26, 2011

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I have come across many forums where the administrator just doesn't seem to be that interested in the forums they run, you can tell this by the lack of new posts created, the quality of posts made and also their attitude towards members who make suggestions.

Have you ever come across a forum where the owner hasn't seemed to bothered about the forum they ran?
    2. fiona1964

fiona1964 Chataholic

Yes and I got banned on one like that just because I PM the admin about a lot of spelling errors
    3. zararina

zararina Chat Addict

Yes, I have been a member of different forums and I had experienced a forum that has no regular/daily posts. And I live the forum of course since I could not read more interesting and useful posts there. I also wonder what is the purpose of that forum owner since he/she was not posting at all as well. To be able to encourage members to be active, it should start from the admin or moderators of the forum.
    4. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I've seen several forums where you wonder why the Admin started it in the first place.
      I think a lot of them think it's easy to just up a forum and away you go.
      Newsflash - it takes a lot of hard work.
      I've been on forums now for about 12-13 yrs and I've never been banned :)
    5. Naiwen

Naiwen Chat Addict

Yes, I seen it. Well, it's a matter of opinion hey guys? Some think the admin's not a good one, some others will like the guy or girl.
    6. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

Yes, but I just don't join, lol.

Can you explain this a little more?

At my forums, I say it as it is. If the suggestion isn't going to benefit the forum or isn't in the direction the forum is going, then I'd say it's not going to happen.

Although, if it's a valid point, then I'll normally take it into consideration.
    7. Juice

Juice New Chatter

I've joined one forum where the owner of it was interesting the $$$ he made through his ads.

I create forums for people to join, chat and have fun and meet some interesting people. :)
    8. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

Yes sure :) by this I mean staff who really are not interested in members opinions when they make suggestions even though they have a section for it, either don't reply or they do but with a not really interested attitude. I think it's fine for staff to disagree with a suggestion if they don't think it will be of any use on the said forum as agreeing with every suggestion will just leave you with too many un used features and forums.

I have known people like that, some of which I am no longer associated with their forums especially after knowing that they use donations on their own personal things rather than for the forum itself, think it's wrong. I myself am the same I will create a forum for people to come in, meet new friends and chat.
    9. fantanoice

fantanoice New Chatter

When I was younger and less experienced, I mainly started because I had seen other amazing forums and wanted one myself. I was not really prepared for the work involved for a few years after, though.

I'm guessing it would be the same for some other aspiring Administrators. Sometimes you also come across people who want niche forums that nobody else has provided so they take the leap, so I guess that is another possibility.
    10. Marc

Marc Crazy Dave FTW!

Almost everyone on the Internet creates a website or a forum to make money. I don't think that anyone isn't interested in making a little extra $$$.

Sure, they wouldn't start monetizing the forum at start, but later down they might do it, or sell it in the future.

Eventually when your forum gets larger, you'll have no choice but to do so, to pay for the server bills, etc.. unless you have the extra money and willing to spend it, ;)
    11. Ikram45

Ikram45 Getting There

If you want to create a community, You would have to listen to your users. This is always the first step to start off with.
    12. Beverly

Beverly Getting There

I created my forum so my friends and i would have a nice place to talk about whatever we want. Also, i wanted to meet new friends, have new conversations with people that i just met. It's a process. My forum has actually been much busier in the past. But this month, things are a little slower.

On a good week, there are many new discussions and many responses posted.

I think it's a fun place to be.

And, i'm working on adding some new things that might spark interest with members, keep them coming back.

Really though, if one of my forum members feels comfortable enough to open up their heart and confess something they need to talk about, then my purpose for creating a forum has been fulfilled.

A forum should feel safe, like a second home, where you can say what you need to say and there won't be consequences. A place to confess something that needs to be said without having to worry that those in your inner circle (as in personal life or at home) will find out or take offense. Hopefully that comes across when people visit my forum, that they can talk, it's a safe haven, a get away to express joy, gripes, friendship, just whatever.