1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

Why Is Thanksgiving Only A Us And Canada Celebration?

Shortie861 Nov 14, 2013

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

One thing I have never understood even to this day is why Thanksgiving is not celebrated in more than just the US and Canada?

I understand that Thanksgiving is a day to express gratitude towards others but it is also a day to express gratitude towards God for those who are religious. There are people whom are religious all over the world not just in Canada and America which is why I ask the question why is it only a Canadian and American thing. I can understand 4th of July being an American celebration just as many understand that Guy Fawkes or Bonfire Night is a British celebration.

Is there something I am missing as to why Thanksgiving could not be celebrated all over?

What are your thoughts on Thanksgiving only being celebrated in the US and Canada?

2. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

funny you ask this because I was wondering why Canada has a thanksgiving day.

Anyways, like the 4th of July, thanksgiving is an American tradition which we threw a thank you party for the Indians for teaching us how to live in the new world.

And of course we all know how we thank them later on.....

3. Grungie

Grungie Raging Alcoholic

Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday, it's just a holiday for when the Pilgrims came to America and had a feast with the Native Americans, or that's the story on how it started.

Apparently Canadian Thanksgiving is just a feast to celebrate after the harvest season is over.

4. Spice

Spice Chat Addict

The origins of Canadian Thanksgiving are more closely connected to the traditions of Europe than of the United States. Long before Europeans settled in North America, festivals of thanks and celebrations of harvest took place in Europe in the month of October. The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England, arrived in Newfoundland in 1578. He wanted to give thanks for his safe arrival to the New World. That means the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts!

Another reason for Canadian Thanksgiving arriving earlier than its American counterpart is that Canada is geographically further north than the United States, causing the Canadian harvest season to arrive earlier than the American harvest season. And since Thanksgiving for Canadians is more about giving thanks for the harvest season than the arrival of pilgrims, it makes sense to celebrate the holiday in October. So what are the differences between Canadian and American Thanksgiving, other than the date? Not much! Both Canadians and Americans celebrate Thanksgiving with parades, family gatherings, pumpkin pie and a whole lot of turkey!

Hope that clears up some misconceptions for you all.

Kaynil and Shortie861 like this.