1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Chat Addicts!

We are a very friendly chat forum covering a range of topics and always make new members feel very welcome

Please feel free to take a look around.

Registration is absolutely free and only takes a minute.
  3. Registered members can:
    • Join in the discussions or start their own
    • Play in the games arcade
    • Upload pictures to their own personal gallery
    • Promote their own sites
    • and much more!

• Dismiss Notice

General Windows Calling Me

Shortie861 May 29, 2013

1. Shortie861

Shortie861 Administrator Staff Member

I have just had a phone call from someone who claims they are from Windows telling me that I have internal errors on my PC and they would like to guide me through a process to clear these errors.

Me being quite cautious when I feel something is not right told them that I run a Linux computer, obviously I do not but something did not feel right about the person on the other end of the phone, despite the fact that I told her more than once I run Linux she still insisted that I had a problem with my PC on Windows. After she finally listened to me about me running Linux she asked me if any other family member used Windows on another PC or laptop, so I answered with I have a family member uses their laptop here sometimes but they do not live here and they apologised and hung up.

I dialed 1471 to check for a number and it came through as being a withheld number which has made me even more curious as to who it actually was.

Has anyone else ever had this kind of call from someone from Windows and could it have been someone from Windows or someone that was making out to be working for Windows?

2. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

I've had this call several times,I just ask them at what point did my PC give out my name and phone number :)

Kaynil, MsPJ and Shortie861 like this.
    3. Shortie861

That was one of the things that got me when they said they were from Windows and I had internal errors on my PC running Windows, my thoughts were "How did you get my number and know that my PC does have errors?"

The fact that they were Indian aswell made me think.

4. steel bat

steel bat Chat Addict

"If you would just load this little program onto your PC we'll fix you right up...."

5. Shortie861

I never actually got that far however they was really pushy when telling me that I had errors that where being sent to them, I in the end made a point of making sure they heard me when I said I was running Linux. My guess is there would have been a program to download that allowed them access to my PC when I ran it.

6. Spice

Spice Chat Addict

These are all scams. Do not give them any information and just hang up on them. Microsoft would never phone you.

Kaynil likes this.
    7. Shortie861

I did just that yesterday :) the phone rang and I answered and as soon as they spoke and I heard someone obviously from India on the other end I just knew but I left it a minute to see what they said. They did it all differently to the last one, never even mentioned they where from Microsoft but I waited and then they said it "We have been receiving messages that you have errors on your computer" I just hung up and felt great after doing so. Wonder if they may get the message?

8. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

Just sounds like a scam to me and I don't trust anyone from india.

9. Kaynil

Kaynil Quiet Chatter

It is a scam. It happened to a friend's home too. The one that phoned my friend's parent was telling them about virus I think so when my friend was given the phone and subsequently argued that Windows and a faulty anti-virus are unrelated, the Indian guy lost its cool and went from demanding to plain insulting.

If they ever call me I'll just pretend to be dumb, technology ignorant and deft. Should be fun.

Shortie861 likes this.
    10. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith Chataholic

we have caller ID at my house and with it one rule. If we don't know who the number or name is we don't answer it and let the answer machine get it.

Shortie861 likes this.
    11. APS

APS Administrator Staff Member

You'll act normal then :D
      Sorry couldn't resist :)

Kaynil likes this.
    12. Kaynil

Kaynil Quiet Chatter

Haha, pretty much. :D